Chapter 22

My chest felt constricted, I couldn't breathe. She would be dead in forty eight hours, I was sure of it. Emma wouldn't lie down, no she would fight to the bitter end, and eventually they would realise she was better dead than alive.

I could practically feel the way theie wheels in their heads would spin.

"This is all my fault, I have to get her. Every second I waste another person gets hurt." My eyes flicker to Xavier's. He was standing up now, nearly four feet from me. "I have to turn myself in."

My arms were crossed over my chest, I was frigid and ready to move, Xavier was too. He has gotten used to my fight of flight response. I always run to the fight, which I don't belive is what the saying means. He crosses over the space between us in one long stride. Gently he grabs my face between his hands.

"This isn't your fault Rose, none of this is. We'll attack soon I promise, but turning yourself in isn't going to help." He says calmly.

"Every second I waste Xavier, someone gets hurt, I can end this, make some sort of deal. Everyone will be fine, I'll find away to fix everything."

"What makes you think this will fix anything? Even if you can make a deal, which is highly unlikely, what about the pack? What about all your friends? The people who care about you?" He snaps.

"No one cares about me." I reply calmly.

"I do Rose, what about me? I can't live without you. I need you more than air." He shouts.

I feel my eyes close instantly, no longer strong enough to hold off the tears.

"You'll be fine Xavier, things will be better if I'm gone, you, you, you can.." He doesn't let me finish, instead he cuts me off by pressing a hard kiss against my mouth. It was demanding, full of love, and anger.

"Promise me this, Rose, promise me that no matter what you won't leave. I know we fight, I know we have our disagreements, but promise you won't leave. Because I don't think I can handle losing you."

I keep my eyes shut, not wanting to see the pained expression on his face. I love him more than anything in the world, but now I have to protect him and everything he loves.

"Promise me."

I finally look him in the eyes, "Okay." I whisper. The lie burns my throat, it hurt more than anything I've ever lied about. I wanted to to take them back as soon as I said them, I wanted to just cry into his chest and tell him that I'm lying, because part of me wants him to stop me. It was selfish of me, if he were to stop me, I know the only reason I would have been relieved is so that I now would have someone to blame.

He lets out a relieved sigh, my heart breaks even more. He believes me.

I know if I ever get back to him, he will never trust me again, he will never look at me the same. I couldn't thank about that though, I couldn't have my last moments with him to be while I'm a sobbing mess.

So, I cling to his chest, hugging him and inhaling his intoxicating scent. I wanted all of him commited to memory, I never want to let him go.

I know the first thing that will happen when they take me is I will be injected with wolfsbane, that will torture Xavier. Because he'll no I'm alive, but won't be able to communicate with me.

I kept searching his mind, trying to find something I can remember forever. And I do find something. It's a memory of him and Lacey and what looks like his other sibilings, they're happy. All swimming in a lake. Ruby and I think Xavier's dad, are setting up a small picnic, calling everyone to eat.

Xavier looks so happy, happier than most times. He was younger in this memory, probably only fifteen, but he already looked like a man. They were laughing and talking about life, and everyone was carefree.