Chapter 2: First Babysit

Word Count: 450

A couple days after the family day. I got a call from Mike asking if I could babysit. I came over that afternoon without question. I knocked on the door and Abby answered.

She gasped. "Mike, Mike, Y/n's here!" She yelled as she ushered me inside.

"Oh, hey Y/n." He greeted me as he came out from the hallway and into the dining area. "Sit, please." We sat down at the dining table and he explain what was happening.

"So, I got fired from my job and I need a new one. So, I'm going out now to go to some sort of career counsellor guy to see what is available." He told me.

"What did you do?" I asked him.

"Uh, you don't wanna know." He sighed as he checked the time. "Shit, I have to go. Thank you again." He said as he rushed out the door.

"So, Abby." I got up and walked over to her. "What do you want to do?"

"Draw." She told me as she brought paper and crayons out into the living room.

"Okay, I'll draw with you." I said as I picked up a crayon and began drawing.

She drew her usual pictures of her and Mike, this time I was in one of them. I was quite flattered. I had drawn a flower, just a simple tulip since I was fucking terrible at drawing anything else. Abby was very happy with mine and thought it deserved a place on her fridge. She grabbed a spare magnet and stuck it on.

The rest of the night was quiet as Abby went to her room and I sat watching tv. I asked if she wanted food and she said no. I asked quiet frequently but she kept refusing. Forcing her wouldn't do anything either so I gave up.

Later on, Mike walked in looking very tired. "How was it?" I asked him as he walked in the kitchen.

"Fine." He sighed. "Did Abby eat?"

"I tried but she didn't want too." I answered as I got up and walked into the kitchen. "But I made something for her anyway, and for you too, just in-case you were hungry."

"Thanks." He smiled. "One second." He walked down the hall into Abby's room. He came out a minute or two later and sat down on the couch next to me. "There is this one job I was offered. The pay is shit and the hours are worse. I'm considering it." He turned to me.

"Well, I'm fine with nights so if you need me to babysit, call me." I told him as I stood up and headed for the door.

"Thanks, Y/n."