Chapter 30 - Anga II

It's been five days since Karna has arrived in Anga. The main problem as far as he has concluded is Jarasandh. Jarasandh plans attacks from time to time to keep the fear alive in people's hearts. 

The people who live in Anga have not been able to earn much for the time being on top of that they have to pay taxes to Hastinapur. Jarasandh charges them money and sometimes free labour in exchange for not attacking them. 

Karna as usual finished his Morning prayers to Surya Narayan. He was standing beside the Champa River from which the capital city of Anga was named Champa, thinking about what he should do next. For the past few days, he has been talking to Bhupendra a lot. The Praja refused to talk to him directly, so he talked to them through Bhupendra. He was also thinking about the response to the official letter he sent to Mahamahim Bhishma which arrived the very next morning. Mahamahim Bhishma said he was sending ten or twelve people to help in Anga, along with Indrasena, who was one of the most trusted and capable officers of the Hastinapur army. They are supposed to be here today itself. He was expecting a response from Tiasha as well which could have helped him with the situation but he didn't get any, much to his disappointment.

Bhupendra on the other hand was a little surprised when Karna asked him many questions and also asked about his opinions on the matters. When Karna told him about writing a letter to someone at Hastinapur, he thought Karna was planning his return. Instead, Karna later informed him to arrange places for a few more people, in the city or in the palace itself, which had Bhupendra shocked. He did as he was told. 

Bhupendra's father used to be the Pradhan Mantri of the previous King, so Bhupendra for obvious reasons knew a lot about administration. Karna decided that when everything was under control he would appoint Bhupendra as his Chief Minister. 

Karna saw at a distance a chariot and a few horses behind it entering through the ruined gates of Campa Nagari. 

He walked towards the palace, sure these were the people from Hastinapur. He needed to go back to the palace as soon as he could and welcome them. He was a little curious about who was in the chariot. 

Karna took the shortcut allay that he had discovered on the second day. He stood right at the entrance and Bhupendra joined him.

-"Maharaj, Is everything ok?" 

-"The people from Hastinapur are here. I saw a Chariot and a few horses coming this way while returning. I hope the arrangements are done."

-"Yes Maharaj, the arrangements are done, the people in the city agreed to let the guests stay in their homes." 

Karna nodded and with that, they heard the neighing of the horses. The next moment a magnificent chariot stood in front of the two men and from the chariot jumped down a smiling Rajkumar Duryodhan. Karna's eyes widened as next, from the magnificent chariot stepped down a magnificent woman, his beloved Tiasha.

-"Mitra Karna!" the two friends embraced each other. 

-"Mitra, what are you doing here?"

-"I won't be staying here long, don't worry I won't interrupt your time with my dear Sakhi here. I am just here to escort her."

Tiasha scoffed and hit Duryodhan's side lightly, "I am not here to spend a holiday, I am here to work and help him set up his kingdom."

Karna turned to Tiasha, "You didn't respond to my letter, you didn't inform me you were going to be here..."

Tiasha narrowed her eyes at him, "So am I not welcome here?"

-"It's not like that..."

Tiasha cut off Karna mid-sentence. She said, "We don't have much time to waste, we need to get to work immediately."

--

Tiasha and Karna sat discussing the matters of the kingdom as Duryodhan went to rest. 

-"So the main problem is Jarasandha then?" 

-"Yes, he is the main problem, once he is solved, other things are just a matter of time."

--

Jarasandha got the news of Karna's arrival in Anga and he started thinking. He thought he would capture the land slowly, but the new king's arrival made him worried. He has heard about the Suta warrior's appearance and his show of skills and valour in the kalapradarshan of the Kuru princes. He also has heard about Rajkumar Duryodhan giving him the kingdom of Anga, But he never thought that Karna would actually show up in Anga to take charges as king. But much to Jarasandh's surprise, he has and just this morning he heard from one of his spies that a few people had also arrived from Hastinapur to help Karna out in his kingdom. No, he cannot stay quiet anymore.

He started writing a letter, which was more of an invitation to a duel for the king of Anga. It is time to take down one more king and make him his slave.

--

In the evening Bhupendra came into Karna's chamber with a worried and almost scared face where the three friends sat discussing various topics.

-"What seems to be the problem, Bhupendra? You look worried." Tiasha asked. Previously Bhupendra mistook Tiasha a Karna's wife which had Duryodhan laughing and teasing the two, who were already a blushing mess. Tiasha shot Duryodhan a glare who was looking at his two friends teasingly.

-"Magadha Naresh Jarasandh has sent a letter to Maharaj." Bhupendra stated his face turned pale as he mentioned Jarasandh's name.

Karna and Tiasha looked at each other their brows furrowing. Karna took the letter from Bhupendra's hand and started reading. Duryodhan was about to open his mouth to ask Karna what was in the letter when Tiasha stopped him. She shook her head telling him silently not to ask any questions yet. 

Karna finished the letter. He looked up at Tiasha and said, "A challenge for a duel in Mace fighting and wrestling, He says If I lose, I have to leave Anga, if I am still alive after the battle..."

-"And if you win?"

-"Then he will stop causing trouble and leave the Praja alone."

Duryodhan stood up, "Accept the challenge, Mitra, defeat that arrogant King and show everyone the strength of Angaraj Karna."

Karna looked at Tiasha as she seemed to be lost in her thoughts.

-"Kumari? What do you say?" 

-"Tell him to accept the challenge Sakhi, If he defeats Jarasandh, no one will ever dare to question his strength."

-"Accept the challenge, but not for yourself, for your Praja, for your kingdom." Tiasha said her voice calm and confident.

Bhupendra cleared his throat, "I am sorry for speaking among you Maharaj, Rajkumar, Kumari, Forgive me, but King Jarasandha is not someone ordinary. It is almost impossible to defeat him. Even Vasudev Krishna also had to move with his people from Mathura to Dwarika because of him."

-"This is the perfect opportunity to make the Praja of Anga trust their king, don't you think, Bhupendra?" Tiasha smirked, the spark of fire in her dark eyes could be seen even from a mile away.

Bhupendra stared at her in awe and just nodded his head, not able to speak a word after Tiasha's Question.

-XX-

To be continued...