Chapter 21 - Panchal

The battle between the Princes of the Kuru family and Panchal Raj Drupad lasted for five days.

Duryodhan followed Tiasha's advice and all the one hundred and five princes went together.

The Pandavas were a little surprised when Duryodhan said that he wanted all of them to go together. They initially thought that he would want to go first and they would follow after them but when Duryodhan suggested that Arjun should go first they were stuck by lightning.

-"I think Arjun should be in the front, given he is an archer."

-"Looks like Devi Saraswathi has suddenly become a little kind to you, Duryodhan." Bheem snickered. Duryodhan ignored him and tried to stay calm as his sakhi suggested.

Arjun frowned as to why Duryodhan was suddenly being so kind to them.

Yudhishthira patted Duryodhana's back, "Thank you, brother, it is best if we stick together. This will help us win."

Duryodhan gave him a fake smile as he internally cringed.

In the battle, Duryodhan defeated the commander of Panchal Sena and Arjun managed to capture Drupad.

They reached the Panchal palace, with Drupad bound in shackles. Drona was standing just beside the throne of Panchal with Ashwatthama.

A wide grin spread on Drona's face as Arjun and Duryodhan both pushed Drupad down to his feet.

He patted their back proudly, "I knew you would never fail me, my students."

-"Especially you Arjun, my Putra." he pulled Arjun into his embrace.

Duryodhan turned his face. Ashwatthama noticed his friend's expression and came to stand beside him. he put a hand on his shoulder and whispered, "Congratulations on defeating the commander of Panchal, Mitra."

-"Well, that is not good enough to receive  praise from Gurudev. It is not as big as his favourite Arjun's achievement, is it?", Duryodhana's lips turned up in a sad smile. Ashwatthama sighed and patted his back.

Drona looked down at Drupad.

-"We meet again dear Sakha, and as I promised you are brought to my feet by my students."

Drupad was looking down this whole time. His entire army was defeated by a group of literal children and they captured him to present in front of their Guru. His head felt heavy in shame. The same friend who he insulted years ago was standing proudly in front of him, bragging about his students' skill and valour.

But Drona's words made his blood boil in anger. In the same arrogant voice that he used years ago he replied, "I am still a king and you are a poor Brahmin, you have the audacity to call me Sakha! I can rip your tongue for that."

Ashwatthama and the kuru princes roared towards Drupad. Drona raised his hands to stop them.

Drona's eyes blazed with fire, " Not for long. Look around you Drupad, this is not your kingdom anymore, you are no more than a prisoner of war."

Drupad looked down, he knew his current position but he just couldn't accept the fact that he was kneeling in front of Drona.

-"You once forgot the bond of friendship we shared with each other back in our time in Gurukul. You forgot you got your knowledge from me. When I came to you for help you not just insulted me you insulted my vidya. But I am not an ungrateful proud king like you are. I am a Brahmin, I keep my word. so as per the promise I will share half of everything I have. I am giving you half of Panchal the southern Panchal as daana."