Chapter Thirty Four 🌹

Zhan opened her eyes. He was dazzled by the light of day entering through open windows. He was unable to get up when he realized it was already morning. He turned himself to the clock on top of the chest and was even more surprised to see that it was half past seven in the morning.

He must have slept for almost seventeen hours!

The last thing he remembers is how sleepy he is after drinking the milk that Quiren gave him. Did he put something in his milk?

He hurried into the bathroom and took a shower. After getting dressed, he went downstairs. The whole house is clear and clean. Grandma Lujin was buried yesterday afternoon without him realizing it. A sadness caressed his chest at the thought that the old woman was gone. During his stay at the villa they became close to each other.

"You are already awake, Sir," said the servant with a tray of breakfast. "I'll bring it to your room."

Where are the people here?"

"Sir Quiren and Sir Yibo are in the dining room with their two guests." He walked towards the dining room. Quiren is in the capital, to his right is Yibo next to Zhao Fei and next is her father. The two old men were busy talking while Zhao Fei was talking to Yibo.

"Good morning," Zhan greeted everyone. Quiren raised his head and immediately stood up to meet his son-in-law.

"Good morning, Zhan," he said and gently held his son-in-law by the arm. "Sleep have done you good, Zhan. You look better."

Zhan looked up at his father-in-law. "Did you put something in my milk, Dad?"

Quiren smiled. "Just a little, Zhan, for you to recover from the fatigue. If I hadn't done that, you might have broken down. I hope you don't mind?"

Zhan reluctantly nod his head then glanced at Yibo who has an expressionless face and just continuing eating. He sat on the left of Quiren and facing his husband. Quiren also poured coffee into his cup.

"You have met Mr. Zhao and her daughter Fei, haven't you, Zhan?" said Quiren as he looked at the two guests.

Mr. Zhao smiled politely. Zhao Fei did the same.

"Y-yes," he answered.

"I have invited them to stay for a few days, Zhan," informed Quiren.

"Thanks for letting us get some things, Quiren." Mr. Zhao said, he is in his mid-fifties and a little fat. "The only thing I'm sorry about is that we went for a vacation here on a sad occasion."

Quiren let out a small smile. "We are the ones who are grieving and it shouldn't be an obstacle to your vacation," he answered, reaching for a papaya slice and placing it on Zhan's plate. "Eat," he whispered.

Yibo saw it but remained motionless. He glanced at Zhan for a moment and bent down to his food again.

"Your son-in-law must be very young and very fragile, Uncle Quiren, he's pale. May he's not used to the weather here in China." there was sympathy in Zhao Fei''s voice when she speaks and looked at Zhan.

"Looks can be so deceiving, Zhao Fei, hija." Quiren in a neutral tone. "Zhan is a horse breaker and used to working in the ranch. They owned a small ranch in Colorado."

Zhao Fei couldn't hide her amazement. "Horsebreaker!"

"Did that surprise you?" said Quiren with a slight laugh. "I couldn't believe myself when Zhan said one of the things he wanted to do. He's a professional photographer but he loves horses and no wonder he immediately tamed Shadow and Haoxuan's Arabian stallion, Arab."

"They're not that hard to ride, Dad," Zhan said shyly. He glanced at his husband and wondered why Yibo was so quiet.

"Don't be so modest, Zhan," continued Quiren. "Ziyi's has wanted to ride Arab for a long time but only few can tame that horse."

"Knowing Ziyi then you must be a good rider," said Mr. Zhao.

"And a very good horse breaker, huh?"

Zhao Fei looked tenderly at Yibo. "You promised to teach me to ride, Yibo."

"Of course,". Said Yibo that speaks for the first time.