Chapter 2: Campfire Introductions

A serene expanse of flattened grass lay quietly, encircled by the meandering river and facing a modest ruin. It possessed all the essentials for a suitable refuge for weary travelers. Now, with a bonfire ablaze at the center of the clearing, they set to work on their tents. Each shelter was a unique arrangement, offering a glimpse into the personality of its occupant.

Gale's campsite boasted heaps of books, a telescope, plush cushions, and other fanciful, magical-themed decorations. Lilith's area was a burst of vibrant colors, adorned with glittering trinkets and blankets for comfort. Lae'zel's space was practical, yet just as rugged, featuring a sharpening stone, a training dummy, and various animal skins. And then there was Christinus, left with a bare patch.

The elf found himself at a loss when it came to constructing his own tent. He observed the others, attempting to learn, but they worked swiftly, leaving him in a race against time. Fearful of being exposed, he knew he had to strategize and turn the situation in his favor. Deep in thought, he stood in place until he was joined by Lilith and Shadowheart.

"Darling, do you need any help?" Lilith grinned.

"Ladies," he turned to both of them with a shy smile, "It's hard to admit, but I have never built my own tent before." It was an attempt to endear himself to his first two companions.

"Strange," Shadowheart commented, "though I suppose we must have had different upbringings. And this isn't much trouble."

"Let us help. Here, hand it over." Lilith took the disassembled setup from his arms and began working. The two women adeptly assembled his tent while Christinus observed, mentally noting their techniques and offering assistance when possible. In the distance, Lae'zel scoffed at the man's lack of survival knowledge. Gale approached Astarion's tent, glancing over at the scene with a touch of lighthearted envy.

"Ah, it's the pretty boys like him that get all the luck, isn't it?"

"He does possess a certain charm," Astarion conceded, fixing an intense gaze on the elf, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. "What's the purpose of beauty if you can't wield it to your advantage? I, for one, fully understand." He gestured to himself triumphantly.

"Christinus, your tent is exquisite!" Lilith exclaimed with delight, running her hands over the rich fabric embroidered in shades of blue, white, and silver. As he unpacked and arranged his belongings, she continued to marvel. Chestnut chests with gemmed latches, an assortment of bath oils and scents, finely bound leather books, candles infused with rose petals, and a hanging bushel of calla lilies adorned his space.

"I've never seen anything quite like this before," Shadowheart admitted, a touch of awe in her voice. "You must be wealthy."

"Hardly," he quickly denied, shedding his fine elven armor in the process.

"That reminds me," Lilith perked up. "Now that it's dark, we should take the opportunity to gather around the fire and introduce ourselves. Doesn't that sound wonderful?" She moved toward the center to announce her suggestion, her tone infused with infectious sweetness. To a discerning eye, a subtle aura of pink-hued smoke could be seen slowly spreading around her team members, a motivator of sorts.

Four logs were neatly arranged around the fire in a diamond formation. Lilith chose her spot with Gale settling beside her, exchanging warm smiles. Shadowheart sat at her other end, opting for the companion she was most familiar with for the time being. Christinus had changed into a ruffled night shirt with a high collar, choosing to sit on his own log. Not long after, he was joined by Astarion at his side. Though he preferred solitude, he silently accepted the seating arrangement.

"You know, you're going to have to invite me over sometime. I love what you've done with the place," Astarion leaned in close to the other elf, speaking in a low voice.