Chapter 17: Purification

In the dimly lit confines of the chamber, a lone figure, a female gith, meticulously examined a tadpole through a sophisticated device. The apparatus, adorned with multiple magnifying lenses, allowed her to scrutinize every intricate detail of the creature. Lost in her work, she seemed oblivious to the presence of the group of foreigners who had entered behind her.

"Vertical incision from pineal eye to end of notochord. Intestinal coloration consistent with samples 231..." Her murmurs were absorbed by the room's stillness as she meticulously recorded her observations. With a deft movement, she adjusted the lenses once more before suddenly breaking the silence with a curt inquiry.

"Do you have a question, or are you just going to stand there gawking?"

Lae'zel bristled at the dismissive tone. "Tch. I am a child of gith, not discarded rat flesh. Am I not due your respect?"

"Perhaps. Perhaps not. Let the istik with you speak, and I will decide what respect you are owed." All attention pivoted to Christinus, who stepped forward with practiced composure, masking any hint of irritation.

"What are you hoping to learn from dissecting that tadpole?"

The gith's response was as sharp as her gaze. "Nothing your kind is capable of understanding. The better question is - what brings an istik to my infirmary?" Her tone brooked no delay, urging Christinus to cut to the heart of the matter. And he, ever the diplomat, obliged her without hesitation.

"I harbor a tadpole of my own, and I was hoping you could assist in its removal," he confessed, his tone heavy with the weight of his predicament.

"Desperation drives you to my door, it seems. Tell me, how long have you carried this infection?" Her voice held a curious edge, tinged with a hint of excitement at the prospect of unraveling this mysterious case.

"Longer than typical ceremorphosis would dictate. And yet, I exhibit none of the expected symptoms," he replied, a note of apprehension creeping into his words.

"Remarkable." Her smile widened, a spark of intrigue dancing in her eyes. "So, you're cognizant of your affliction, yet untouched by its cerebral effects. Either your tadpole is extraordinary, or you are. We must ascertain which." With a graceful gesture, she indicated the imposing machine dominating the chamber. "Approach the zaith'isk. I will oversee your cure."

He studied the contraption warily, his eyebrow arching in skepticism. Even from a distance, its presence was foreboding. "And what precisely will it entail?"

"It shall extract the specimen nestled within your cerebral cortex," she explained, her voice tinged with reverence. "Hurry now." Passing by him and the assembled group, she positioned herself beside the device, poised to initiate its workings at his command. As they drew closer, the zaith'isk's intricate design came into focus, a bizarre amalgamation of flesh and metal that exuded an almost sentient aura, as though it awaited a purpose.

Upon closer inspection, Christinus discerned the crude fusion of illithid anatomy and metallic alloy, sensing the pulsating waves of psionic energy emanating from it, promising access to realms both seen and unseen.

"The zaith'isk! Vlakiith's essence distilled. My solemn duty, my rightful domain," Lae'zel breathed in reverence, her eyes ablaze with fervor. Bathed in the radiant hues of orange and yellow, the device seemed to pulsate with an otherworldly brilliance. "Make way. The hour of my calling is upon me."

"By all means, you've earned it," he said, gesturing for her to take her place. She nodded, her movements cautious as she approached the strange device. With a graceful ease, she settled into its seat, prompting the contraption to recline backward. Its metallic pincers adjusted, hovering ominously over her head.