Chapter 4: Fangs and Fortune

"Christinus, my dear," Astarion drawled as he approached his tent, a mischievous glint in his eyes, eager to continue his playful banter with his newfound companion. He had thoroughly enjoyed watching the man squirm earlier. "Now that we've witnessed your little performance, you absolutely must regale us with a tune. What do you say? A ballad, perhaps? Or even a small lullaby."

This was precisely the reason he preferred keeping such moments private. Yet, here he was, seizing the earliest opportunity to needle him. He couldn't fathom the rogue's fascination with getting under his skin, but he was determined not to show any discomfort. Avoiding eye contact, Christinus rummaged around for his chest. "Another time. I'm more interested in a bath at the moment," he dismissed, finding the chest and turning to Astarion with a forced smile. "Why don't you safeguard my items? Or make yourself at home, if you wish." Without waiting for a response, he strode past Astarion toward the nearby running stream.

Astarion arched an eyebrow, observing the man disappear into the surroundings. Admittedly, he wasn't accustomed to being brushed off so effortlessly, though the others who had attempted such avoidance weren't as captivating as their camp's enigmatic figure. There was something hidden beneath the surface, evident in the rogue's evasiveness, opulence, and the diplomatic façade he maintained. Nobody could be this flawless without harboring a secret. Astarion, more than anyone, understood that. He decided to occupy himself by examining Christinus's belongings.

Following his suggestion, Astarion sifted through the items: books on culture, music, and history neatly stacked, chests filled with an array of clothing, shoes, medicinal supplies, instruments, sheet music, lotions, and potions—all quite standard, yet excessively abundant. It was clear that Christinus hailed from wealth. As he rummaged further, he noticed a coin purse neatly resting atop some chests. Curiosity piqued, he opened it to find a handful of cheap gems, keys, and several gold pieces. Not exactly a fortune. He sighed, scanning the area for any cleverly hidden or magically concealed items.

At that moment, the elf returned, hair damp from his impromptu bath. Stepping through the canopy door, he greeted his inquisitive guest, "Find anything interesting?"

"Afraid not. Perhaps I've given you too much credit? You might just be another run-of-the-mill bard with a decent family background. Although..." He advanced toward his combat gear—a splendid circlet adorned with a sun motif and a pristine white-set stone, Elven silver armor embellished with leaf-like metal details, and a magnificent long blade with blue gems along the hilt. "This battle-ready equipment is quite remarkable, almost regal. Wouldn't you agree?" He glanced over his shoulder, making his calculated move.

"I confess, I do have a penchant for the finer things in life," Christinus retorted, setting down the chest he had brought along. "It has landed me in quite a bit of debt. If we ever make it back to the city, I'm sure collectors will be hot on my trail."

This was an unexpected admission. Christinus didn't strike him as someone so...reckless. Although it conveniently explained a few things, it seemed out of character for someone who had been so guarded about revealing personal information. "Surprising. I'll remember not to entrust you with my share of the loot we acquire." His fingers traced the fabric of his gear, momentarily admiring its splendor.

"Well, I sincerely hope you learn to manage your finances. But I've overstayed my welcome." Waving himself off, he headed toward the exit. Pausing midway, he turned his head to catch one more glimpse of his refined camp companion. "I truly enjoy our conversations. They're invigorating."

"Likewise. Like a dance," Christinus replied with a smile.

"Yes. A heated, passionate dance. Lots of sweat, plenty of ecstasy." His voice took on a low, seductive tone, and he flicked the word 'ecstasy' off his teeth with a moan. "Goodbye, then..."