Locked Door

Maggie jiggled the door handle to the bookshop's backroom.

"Maggie, I told you I think it's time for you to leave." Aziraphale grimaced, not opening the door. Maggie continued to jiggle the door handle, "And you shouldn't be alone right now." Maggie stated very matter-of-factly.

There was no response.

"Oh come on Aziraphale. Talk to me, I just want to help. Even if it isn't about them, you can still talk to me." Maggie spoke softly, giving up on trying the door handle.

There was still no response.

"Aziraphale!" Maggie raised her voice, sounding exasperated.

"Just leave me alone!" Aziraphale cried, his voice breaking as he did so. Maggie softened, her heart breaking for him. He was so sweet, he didn't deserve whatever happened to make him do this, to cut off Crowley and become so avoidant.

"I'm here for you." She sat next to the locked door, not saying anything else. She could hear soft steps slowly approach the door as Aziraphale sat against it on his side of it.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, just barely loud enough for Maggie to hear. The two sat in silence for a long time.

"I didn't want this.." Aziraphale finally spoke softly, his voice cracking as tears slipped down his cheek. The lock on the door clicked as Aziraphale unlocked it and Maggie carefully opened the door and slipped inside, gently shutting the door and sitting beside Aziraphale. They didn't say anything as Aziraphale wiped his tears.

"I... I want to tell you why but... For their safety and my conscience I can't.." Aziraphale mumbled and Maggie nodded.

"I understand," she said softly, gently rubbing his shoulder, trying to comfort Aziraphale.