Chapter 13

"I swear this engagement is a sham." Clarissa said as she stared at the ring on her finger. "I mean, I get why it has to be this way, but it doesn't mean anything permanent."

"True, but it is for your own good." Luminous said as they walked into the shopping district. "Even though it's for convenience, I'd rather treat it as the real thing. It would be unfair to you if you're the only one acting like my actual fiancé." He said, then looked at her. "I did promise to treat you with the respect you deserve."

"And this is your way of doing it." She said, knowing what he was about to say. "I appreciate it, Luminous, that you're being considerate. It's no wonder every noble flock all over you." Clarissa frankly said as she felt the glaring daggers poking her from behind.

"They'd be shameless to do so now that the public knows I'm engaged." Luminous said, "Although criticisms will be heard on your part, I'll make sure that does not happen."

Clarissa sighed helplessly, "I just hope that whatever happens at the social gathering will be a breather for than having to constantly listen to empty threats." She said, feeling mentally tired,

Luminous hummed in agreement as went they inside one of the stores to pick up her dress for the gathering.

A few hours later, the Pendragon Family headed towards the Imperial Palace where the gathering would be held. Many influential figures and families were present as they entered the Gathering Hall, they greeted one another or shared some gossip surrounding themselves.

Coming out of the car, Luminous escorted Clarissa towards the gathering hall, following his family. Being at such a luxurious place like the palace, the redhead felt that she was very out of place and uncomfortable. She decided to wear her Commoner cape as a symbol of a warrior, not only to let others recognize her origin but also have a need to preserve her pride as one who relied on herself to get where she is now.

'Though my engagement is an obstacle for the ladies eyeing on Luminous. I might not survive tonight's gathering.' Clarissa thought and felt a warm hand on her back. It was Luminous's way of reassuring her like a true lover would do. 'He really knows how to put up an act. I hope this lasts for tonight so I can sleep without worries.'

"It's best that you stay on guard, Clarissa." Luminous whispered in her ear, "Gatherings like this is not just a place to gather information, but it could be a place where other may plot against you."

"I'm aware, Luminous." She said looking at him, despite the flushed ears, "I have common knowledge when it comes to the influential families' behaviors and their inner doings. I didn't come here unprepared."

Luminous's face fell. "You brought a dagger, didn't you." He said, knowing the answer despite his warning for her not to bring one.

"Close. This hair ornament is sufficient for that purpose." Clarissa smiled proudly as she turned her head slightly to show her steel-decorated hair ornament. One could easily think that it's made out of wood due to its varnished coating, added to the flower decorations. "It's a memento from my mom."

Hearing this, Luminous immediately gazed at his surroundings, catching no sign of the Mckenna Family present in their presence. Sighing he said, "Since it's a memento, keep it hidden for now. There's a high chance that the Mckennas are here for the gathering."

"Right." Clarissa nodded as they entered the main hall.

The sight was extravagant as the interior design gave quite the majestic medieval vibe one would expect from nobility. Everything was almost lit with gold lighting. At the back center of the hall were the Royal Family of the Dragonia Empire, The Ambrose Family.