Chapter 9

"Glad to know you're doing well, Riz. Though you were a goner for being in the Pendragon House." Gunter Brierman grinned at his friend, happy to know she was all right.

Clarissa snorted. "It's been only a few days since we graduated. The only thing I got was training my squad to fighting shape for this specific mission." She said, "I swear, it feels like I'm cramming for a final exam or something."

"Luminous gave you that much of a hard time? I thought, as a Dragon Rider, you have special privileges. At least that's what I heard in the Voland house." He said unsurely.

"True, but considering my rank, I mostly have to rely on my competence and what I can that exceed their expectations. I didn't lose sleep training their butts off for them to waste my efforts. No, sir. Not on my watch." Clarissa said, determined not to get refused on the sleep she sacrificed for getting her squad to be ready.

"Just take it easy, Riz. I know you're a hard worker, but you practically work yourself to the bone." Gunter said in concern but smiled at her, "But hey! You, this mission will feel like our first hunt in the Academy."

"Only this time, it's not for a test but an actual extermination mission." Clarissa said as she noticed the Voland warriors giving her doubtful looks. "I get that I'm a commoner and a Lieutenant in the Pendragon, but to me, this is a test to prove my worth of being here."

"And I know you'll do great." He said as he smirked at his fellow knights, "These guys don't know what will hit them once you show them what you've got, Miss Valedictorian." Gunter elbowed her in a tease,

In response, Clarissa crossed her arms and low-sweeped him with her leg, causing Gunter to fall back on the ground. "At least this brainiac knows how not to make a fool of herself." She said with a smug look,

"Is Gunter... okay?" A familiar voice caught her attention as she turned to look, gazing at a Hybrid. "C-Clarissa, is that you?" He asked, a bit surprised to see her,

"Virgil Voland, never expected you to be here. It's been a while." Clarissa greeted him with a smile as they shook hands,

"It has been too long." Virgil said, pushing his glasses up and checking his former classmate. "You really became all three, huh. Knight, Paladin, and Dragon Rider. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks." Clarissa said as soon as Gunter stood back up. "Hey, Gunter. Virgil is here."

"Yeah, I should be keeping an eye on my charge, but got distracted talking with you." Gunter said,

"Charge? As in, he's your bodyguard, Virgil?" She asked the Hybrid next to her,

"Yeah. He was randomly selected for me by my dad. I didn't even know he was chosen to be part of the Voland Warriors." Virgil said and explained his reason for being there. "Even though I've not 'warrior material,' I decided to work at the Archives. Then became one of Master Apollo's apprentices."

"Right. I heard young master Apollo worked at the Dragonia Archives and is a professor at the Academy in the Magic's course." Clarissa said,

Gunter laughed. "We should do a reunion one day. So much has happened since our batch separated for their different goals."

"One day." Clarissa and Virgil promised in unison before leaving to prepare the Hunt for tonight.

Later that Night...

"Are you sure we can trust her to lead us?" One of the Voland knights asked, his voice not trying to hide his doubt.