♡ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 ♡

♡ 𝘃𝗮𝗹𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗲 ♡

♡ 𝘃𝗮𝗹𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗲

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 nine

silver springs.

─── ༺♥༻ ───

JOSETTE PARKER held her phone to her ear with an unsteady hand, smirking at the love language she and her boyfriend shared. Her white coat clung to her chest and her chestnut hair fell before two crows-feet eyes. 

"How much are you gonna wanna kill me if I raincheck tonight?" she tapped bare fingernails against the plastic phone case, Christmas lights reflecting in that and each piece of jewellery she wore. 

"Why? What happened?" Alaric mumbled.

"I have a possible 480 hit-and-run on campus, one DOA, 4 reds en route-"

"Have your previous boyfriends understood this language you speak?"

Josette chuckled softly, head tilted downwards to hide her blush from her co-workers. "I'm gonna miss dinner." She paused. "So you're my boyfriend now?"

Jo could hear the sharpness in his breath, the uneasy shuffling of his feet, and the embarrassing clear of his throat through the phone. It was a slip-up. The heart grew lips and spoke instead of the brain. A part of her wondered what else it would say. 

"There's no hospital code for awkward silence." She joked, hoping to ease some. "Give me two hours. Save me dinner."

With a click, Alaric's warm voice fizzled out and medical lingo filled her ears. As did the nonstop buzzing of wires and rattling of trolley wheels.

"-We have a female with abdominal wounds-"

"Put her in T-3. I need 10 milligrams of morphine. Mine's conscious." she muttered out to her subordinate, pushing a patient along with her. "See a lot of blood. No broken bones."

"Making any sense?"

"No, it's not. What happened to you? Were you hit by a car?" Josette flashed a light in her eyes, watching the irises widen and shrink with panic. 

"I can't breathe-" 

Jo swallowed thickly. Her knowledge in the medical field stretched for acres, but not this many. "It's okay. You can tell me what really happened," she muttered, trying to settle her thrashing. "Sweetheart, look at me."

From the corner of the patient's eye, doused in blood that made his blue eyes pop, Kai Parker gave a condescending smirk. He stumbled towards her as the lights behind him lit up his silhouette like a deranged angel, determined to take her to the beyond with him. A true angel of death.

"What happened to you?" Josette repeated, unaware of the man creeping up behind her and raising the goosebumps on her neck. 

A sharp pain etched in her skull and her hair was yanked backwards until his voice whispered in her ear. Kai purred, pricking her neck with a nearby needle.