Chapter 4

*Skylar*

School is stupid. This is a fact. Another fact is I'm a notorious skipper. So, after lunch I decided it wasn't worth it. So I left. I just walked off campus and to the nearest bus stop. It was too long a walk home and no one bugged you on the bus. I took my normal seat and plugged in my earbuds, prepared for the long ride. At one point, Pandora played a shit-tastic song and when I skipped it I saw my phone's battery was at thirteen percent. Well fuck.

Not shortly after this realization did the IPhone die. I sighed and endured the next fifteen minutes in silence.

"Have a nice day young man." Said the old woman who always sat next to me.

I stopped and smiled, "You too." I liked her. I liked most old people. Besides she was cute.

I got off the bus and began the five block walk home. Green Day was still echoing in my head as I walked. So, I bobbed my head to their latest album. I had a problem of not always paying attention or paying too much attention. At the moment is was the lack of perception. I followed the sidewalk in silence; occasionally hearing a dog bark, a car or some other typical neighborhood sound.

I walked up the steps to the porch and dug in my pocket for my keys. I pulled them out and selected the appropriate one; only to find that I didn't need it. Oddly enough, the door was open. Even more odd was the lack of a door knob. My brows furrowed. It seemed like someone obviously broke in and took off the knob to enter. They'd stupidly tried to shut the door but the lack of a knob prevented it, leaving it slightly opened. Someone broke in, cool.

My mind stopped suddenly. Avery was inside. She'd stayed home from school. She was inside. With a possible killer.

Oh well.

I turned away and began descending the steps. But I stopped. I couldn't just leave her.

Yes I could.

No.

Weren't you hoping just yesterday that she'd get 'roughed up'? What's the difference between yesterday and now? Nothing.

I growled and shook my head. I turned around, knowing damn well I couldn't leave her in there. If I did, I'd be no different than them.

God damnit, Avery. I walked back up to the door and listened. I didn't hear anything. Maybe they'd broken in earlier and were long gone. But what about Avery? Without realizing, I rolled my eyes and crept in. I took slow, light steps; not wanting to give myself away. I crept into the living room and ducked in front of the couch. I still didn't hear anything. Straining my ears, I crept to the arm chair. I heard a heavy footstep on the second floor. Found you.

Being a predator was easy. It wasn't just about being bigger, you had to be better. A predator must think faster, pay more attention and now how to do it. I was more than prepared. I was skilled, an expert really, at stalking prey.

I began creeping toward the stairway. And then I smelt it. Coming from the kitchen. Gun powder. No.

I completely forgot about being inconspicuous and almost ran through the swinging door.

It was empty. Who randomly fucking fires gunshots in a kitchen? I walked over to the breakfast bar, hearing more footsteps upstairs. You sir, are sloppy. I sighed, she must be upstairs.

As my heavy exhale permitted the air something stirred in the room. Something large and under the sink from the sounds of it. My brows furrowed as I crept over. I crouched down and threw open the doors.

If her hands hadn't have been fists practically in her mouth she would have gotten us both killed with a scream. With my left index finger against my lips and my right pointing up she calmed. Realizing it was me, she hugged me tightly. I awkwardly sat there, feeling uncomfortable with the contact. I pried her off and she looked hurt. I wiped the disgust from my face and nodded for her to follow me.