Chapter 2

"Explain." Sadie said, grabbing my arm and dragging me away from Matt's car.

"What?" I asked feeling very confused.

"Oh, don't play dumb.'' Hunter grinned that radiant smile of his.

"You're gonna have to be more specific of what I'm explaining exactly." I said as I avoided a rain puddle.

"You know exactly what we're talking about." Sadie grinned.

"You got out of Matt's car with Hannibal Lector, who you're now living with." Hunter's brown eyes danced.

"Ugh, I so don't want to talk about it." I sighed.

"Oooh! Drama. Now you have to spill." Sadie glowed, enjoying this way too much.

The bell rang. "I'll see you at lunch!" I grinned waving goodbye.

"This isn't over Avery!" She yelled as she and Hunter walked to Psychology together. I walked into my first class of the day: Calculus.

I really liked math. It was predictable. There was always an answer. Even if it was null set, it was an acceptable answer. There's an explanation or formula for everything. There's a set order to solving something. And in the words of the mean girl herself, Cady Herrin, it's the same in every country.

By the time lunch came I was starving and really wanted to take a nap. "Cocoa Bean!" I heard and turned. Hunter and Sadie were sitting at our normal spot in the grass. And yes, I was often referred to as Cocoa Bean by these two. I don't know why.

"Hey." I smiled as I took a seat next to them to form our little triangle.

"Spill. Now." Sadie demanded.

"Can I not eat first?" I laughed.

"Let the girl eat, Sades. She'd let you do the same if you weren't so gossip-y." Hunter teased tossing a fallen leaf at her sun tanned skin.

Sadie only rolled her eyes. At least before talking. Sadie hated silence. "Oh come on! You're Avery! The queen of multitasking! Now spill! I'm dying in the dark over here!" She whined.

"It's... different." I shrugged biting into my sandwich.

"And? Go on!" Sadie's head bobbled.

I sighed, "What am I supposedly to say Sadie?"

"I wanna know all the details! Down to the number of lint balls on the floor!" She said in a 'duh' voice.

"My room is turquoise and brown." I said.

"Ew." Hunter cringed. "That sounds bad. I'm a dude and even I know that sounds bad."

"It's just a light blue green color and a dark brown." I pointed out to him.

"Oh. I imagined much worse." He said sheepishly.

"Yeah, obviously. Now shut up. Go on Avery! You're killing me!" She whined after snapping at Hunter, who stuck his tongue at her as revenge.

"I don't know what to say Sadie!" I defended with a laugh.

"Okay okay okay! How about Sadie asks questions about what she wants to know and Avery will answer to the best of her ability? Make love not war." Hunter grinned, wiggling his eyebrows. Him and his zen crud with sexual implications.

"Ugh, horn dog." I rolled my eyes with a chuckle.

"Question Uno!" Sadie declared.

"I may have taken French, but I'm still very positive that isn't right." I laughed.