Chapter 23

SOKKA POV

It's been a day since we boarded the stolen Fire Nation ship and Aang was still out cold. Katara says it could be weeks before he wakes up and we just had to wait it out for now. While I was worried for Aang (like everyone was) I was also worried about (Y/N). Whenever we had all boarded Appa after the events of Ba Sing Se, I could tell from the moment I saw her something had happened. She had this dull look in her eyes and barely spoke as we boarded the ship.

Katara had given me a brief summary of what had happened down in the catacombs below the Earth King's palace. I knew that (Y/N) was burned by Azula's flames and how Zuko had left to go back to the Fire Nation with his sister. While I was sure she was also distressed over Aang's condition, I also knew that it was Zuko's departure that had (Y/N) looking so . . . lifeless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got up from my bed in my temporary quarters on the ship, ready to get some answers from (Y/N). She hadn't left her room in three days and I was growing more and more anxious by the minute. I stomped down the hall, clad in my Fire Nation armor, and knocked on her door.

When she didn't answer I yelled, "(Y/N)? I'm coming in!"

I opened the door slowly, peaking my head in to make sure she wasn't indecent or asleep. I looked to her bed and saw her curled up in a ball, her eyes droopy and her mouth in a small frown. I made my way over to her bed, taking note of the meals that Katara had dropped by that were untouched on the ground. Her blanket was thrown haphazardly on the floor and it was obvious she had barely left her bed, her sheets wrinkled as well as her clothes.

I sat down on the bed and turned to face her. She stared up at me with darkened eyes which had bags underneath them, telling me she hadn't been sleeping. I opened my mouth to speak, trying to make my words as soft as I could, "(Y/N) . . . I know what happened in Ba Sing Se hurt you. Everyone is worried about you and I don't want you to feel like you have to keep your emotions to yourself. I know you probably think you'd be a burden if you told someone your feelings, but please don't bottle it all up. You can talk to me and I will listen. I'm here for you."

I took my hand and placed it on hers in a comforting manner. I looked at her arm and traced the burn scar that swirled along her forearm to her mid-bicep with my eyes. Katara had tried to heal it with water, but all the water did was make the burn turn into a scar faster. I felt bad knowing (Y/N) will always have this reminder of what happened in those catacombs on her body forever.

(Y/N) still hadn't spoken or moved; she just stared up at me, her eyes scanning mine for what felt like forever. Just as I was about to leave her alone and give her space, I heard her choke out a sob. I immediately pulled her up against my shoulder, just letting her cry there for as long as she needed. I had seen (Y/N) let out a stray tear here and there, but never had I seen her cry this hard. Her body was wracked with sobs and she shook against me. My heart broke for her, my best friend, the girl who had seen me at my lowest after Yuki died and who had been there for me those late nights when the moon was her brightest.

After she got all of her tears out, that was when she told me everything that had happened to her in the catacombs of Ba Sing Se. Not only that but she also told me of her reunion with Zuko and Iroh, revealing to me that was where she snuck off to everyday. She also told me of her vision in the swamp which now seemed like ages ago but was in reality only a few months. How she had realized her feelings for Zuko, only for him to betray her in those crystal caverns below the palace. As she spoke, she would pause and grimace while allowing a tear or two to slip, like the memories were physically hurting her to recount.

Once she was done I held her tighter, whispering, "It's okay. Everything is going to be okay. You have us and we are always going to be here for you. You are strong and you will bounce back from this."