Chapter 19

I rose a little after the sun began poking up from the horizon and got started on making a big breakfast for everyone. I figured it would be an acceptable apology for staying out so late last night and leaving them to fend for themselves for dinner. The house was silent except for the light sizzling of the eggs as I scrambled them in the pan. I had already made a fruit salad, bacon, squeezed some orange juice, and made Aang's egg custard tart which was now baking in the oven.

"You're up early."

The sudden break in silence caused me to quickly whip around and throw the wooden spoon in my hand at Sokka's head, "Spirits! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

"My bad," Sokka picked up the spoon and handed it back to me, "I figured you'd sleep in, you got here pretty late last night."

I hummed and moved to scrape the eggs onto a plate, "I wanted to make everyone breakfast, since I couldn't make dinner."

Sokka gave me a side eye, "Yeah . . . Why were you out so late? I was getting worried."

It took everything in me not to freeze on the spot. Instead I moved to the oven, avoiding Sokka's piercing gaze, "Oh, you know detours and the train takes forever and the lines were so long". Sokka kept his stare even, not buying my obvious fibs, "Anyway, could you go wake everyone up before breakfast gets cold?"

He nodded slowly, still side-eyeing me as he exited the kitchen. Once he was gone I took a deep breath and tried to regulate my breathing. I probably should've told Sokka that Zuko was in the city, but I couldn't. Even though he always teased me about me and Zuko's (nonexistent) relationship, I knew he would immediately grow defensive over me and everyone else. I didn't want to stress the GAang out and wanted them to enjoy their time in Ba Sing Se. I decided that, for now, I would keep both the GAang and Zuko's presence in Ba Sing Se a secret from both.

I removed the tart from the oven and set it on the counter to chill. That was when Aang came bursting in, "You made the tart! Thank you (Y/N)!"

He embraced me tightly and I laughed before explaining, "Yes, it needs to cool off first though."

Aang wasted no time in cutting himself a slice before using his pointer finger to send a small wind gust to cool down the hot food. He then began to dig into the tart and was done and getting seconds before Toph and Katara even had a chance to sit down. I smiled before getting myself a plate of fruit and sitting beside Katara.

"How was the market," Katara questioned from beside me.

"Yeah (Y/N) how was the market," Sokka narrowed his eyes at me from his place across the table.

I swallowed, turning to Katara, "It was good. I went to the lower ring for cheaper prices and they had a wide variety of products."

"You went all the way to the lower ring? Is that why you got home so late," Toph questioned before adding, "Your footsteps woke me up when you came back."

"I got home late because the trains were running slowly. I would've been home sooner but my train was late."

"Huh, that's weird. Ba Sing Se's trains are known for their strict promptness," Katara shrugged, brushing it off, before continuing to eat her eggs.

I was the first to finish my meal and decided to get some fresh air in the backyard. I walked outside, the sunlight causing me to squint under its harsh light. The backyard was moderately sized, with a small pond in the middle. It was barren of any plants except for a single tree in the corner of the yard. I heard someone open and close the backdoor before coming to stand behind me.

"What is it, Sokka?"

He moved beside me, "I just want to know the real reason why you were home so late."