Chapter 21

I padded my way through the halls of our temporary home in Ba Sing Se, checking everyone's room to see if they were awake. I was confused when I saw that no one seemed to be home. I checked everywhere but there was no sign of the GAang and no note explaining where they went. I shrugged it off, guessing they went into town and let me sleep in.

I decided to do some tidying up around the house as they had left it a mess before they left. As I was cleaning up some of Sokka's weapons he had left on the floor, I heard a knock at the door. I brushed off my pants and went to open it.

My eyes widened in shock, standing there was Zuko. My heart started beating in my ears and my throat felt dry. I had no idea what to do. Not only was I shocked unprepared to see him again after my realization last night, but he had also found my temporary home and if the GAang showed up while he was here, who knew what would happen. He simply stood there, a blank expression on his face. He looked into my eyes but his gaze seemed far away, as if he was looking right through me.

I coughed, "Um, Zuko what are you doing here?"

His gaze hardened and his eyes lost that far-away quality it once held, "To do what I should've done years ago."

"What are you-" I was cut off by his hand reaching to caress my cheek.

To say I was surprised by the action was an understatement and I froze, my face blooming with red heat. Zuko didn't say a word as he moved his hands to my waist, causing my stomach to erupt in butterflies. He then pulled me into a gentle and warm embrace and I finally exhaled for what seemed like the first time since I opened the door. This hug was just like the one we shared on the roof and I relaxed into his embrace, wrapping my arms around his neck.

What did this mean? Did Zuko like me back? Why was he being so cryptic and vague?

My train of thought came to a halt when I felt him shaking. My first thought was that he was crying and I panicked, concerned as to what was wrong. Before I could question him, I heard light chuckling from beside my ear, realizing that he was laughing. Though, this laugh sounded much different than the short giggles and chuckles that Zuko would usually release. This laugh grew louder and louder until he was laughing like a maniac. I tried to pry free, bewildered by his sudden mood change but he held me against him.

I grew frantic and this feeling only increased when he whispered, "You really thought I could ever love you? You pathetic commoner. You're nothing to me."

I saw him raise a small knife which seemed to come out of nowhere and opened my mouth to scream. Nothing came out. He plunged the knife down and I felt the tip blade barely break through the skin in my upper back-

I shot up, my breathing labored and my brow damp with sweat. I felt a moment of confusion before realizing I was in bed. I tried to regulate my breathing, combing my hand through my (h/c) hair. That dream felt so real and was the first dream I had in a while that wasn't a memory. I took my hand from my hair and reached for the spot on my upper back where I had felt the blade. It was smooth, no sign of any fresh cut or scar.

I sighed and shimmied out of bed, walking into the bathroom to splash some cold water on my face. It was just a dream. It didn't mean anything. Zuko didn't stab you. He doesn't know where you live. You're fine. I nodded at myself in the mirror, trying to tell myself that it was best not to dwell on dreams. I exited the bathroom and got dressed before making my way to the kitchen for breakfast.

The floorboards creaked under my feet as I tiptoed through the hallway to the kitchen. I guess everyone had decided to sleep in today. Usually this wouldn't bother me, but the eerie silence of the house left me alone with my thoughts. Thoughts of Zuko and my blunt realization of my true feelings for him last night.