11. The Blade of Frontiers

We walk through the gate, following behind the rest of the battle-weary fighters, neither of us knowing exactly what to expect. And as we step through the huge, natural rock archway, the gate closing behind us with a bang, the atmosphere changes in an instant. A large green grove opens up before us, a secret world hidden just beyond that crude, mossy gate. And there is static in the air. A sort of magic that clings heavily in the atmosphere - a magic of life and healing... it is a feeling that my wretched, broken self is not familiar with.

"I've never had cause to visit a druid's grove before," Gale remarks absently, apparently taking in the feeling of the magic as well. "Magic weighs heavier here, seeking solace in root and soil. Grounding, one might say."

"Yes, well, this does seem like a lovely little spot," Astarion chimes in. "The sense of impending doom aside, of course."

"We don't have time for sight-seeing," Lae'zel barks. "We must find the one called Zorru quickly. Only then will we know where to find the creche."

"Oh, you're no fun," Astarion clicks his tongue.

As we wander further into the grove, the new feeling of peacefulness is disrupted by a dispute happening between Zevlor and one of the young soldiers that we first saw at the front of the gate. From what I can gather, Zevlor is angry that the young soldier leading a scout party managed to lose an important druid called Halsin and then lead the goblins straight to camp. When their argument is over, the young soldier storms off down the road, and Zevlor's attention turns to us.

"Thank you for your help out there. I'm Zevlor."

"Tav," I introduce myself. "And these are my companions, Lae'zel, Astarion and Gale. So... um... what exactly is this place?"

"A druid's grove, Emerald Grove, dedicated to the Oak Father, Silvanus. You'll find its keepers just as thorny, I fear. Whatever your business, I'd see to it quickly - the druids are forcing everyone out. This attack will only strengthen their resolve."

"Don't worry, we won't be staying long," I say. "We just need to find a healer."

"Goblins got you? The druid Halsin's a renowned healer, but he didn't make it back from Aradin's expidition. If it's not too serious, you could try his apprentice, Nettie. She's with the other druids, in the inner grove."

Nettie... I remember that name from before... one of the tieflings mentioned it back in the wilderness when we rescuted Lae'zel.

"They've started a ritual to cut the grove off from the world outside," Zevlor goes on. "We can't' stay, but we'll be slaughtered if we leave. We tieflings are no fighters. We came here to escape the goblins only to be forced out again. We have no home."

"This ritual," I ask. "Is there now way to convince the druids to stop it?"

"I've tried," Zevlor sighs. "Kagha - their new First Druid - won't even see me. You, though... I know it's not your business, but she owes you for saving this place. Perhaps you could persuade her. For more time to prepare, if nothing else."

Maybe, at another time, I could have been bothered. I want to help these people, but these tadpoles could turn me into a mind flayer at any moment, and when that happens I will be no good to anyone.

"I'm sorry," I answer with apprehension. "My head's a wreck. I've got too much else to deal with right now."

"I understand," Zevlor says with surprising calmness. "I can only thank you for the help you've already given. If you'll excuse me, I'd best get my people moving." And with that he takes off deeper into the grove, leaving me with a deep sense of guilt gnawing at the pit of my stomach.