Bullets

word count: 1,375

mentions of terrorism/shooting

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

( Y / N )

You walk arm and arm with Elijah down the street of New Orleans, laughing.

"That is definitely one of the funniest representations of vampires I've seen in awhile," you wheeze. Elijah chuckles, nodding in agreement.

"Yes. Although, I am quite disappointed we don't sparkle." You snort, shaking your head.

"I'll give her props for sticking with the classic 'iv I vite you, you vill turn' schtick." He laughs at your horrible Dracula impression. "The sparkling? That's new."

"Yes, well, maybe they sparkle somewhere."

"We should travel to Forks to see if it's true," you smirk. Elijah looks down at you, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Yes, we should. What do you say for your birthday?" Your smile widens, and you look up at him with hopeful eyes.

"Really? I just wanna go because the forest looks so tranquil."

"Mhm. Sure," he teases. You use your free hand to smack his arm. He makes a face and you stick your tongue out at him.

"Thanks, 'Lijah. This means a lot." His smile turns from teasing to genuine.

"You're welcome, (Y/N). After dealing with Kol's rampages, I figured you could use a night out." You groan in agreement.

"Ah, yes. As much as I love the bastard, he can be more than a handful."

"Try dealing with him for a thousand years."

"Dear old Elijah. So patient. The others could learn a thing or two from you."

"Truly," he mumbles. We walk a couple of blocks in comfortable silence. The silence is split with a cracking sound. You look around for the source of the sound. Elijah is immediately on high alert, pushing you behind him. People who were partying on the street look around as well until another crack pierces the air and someone falls to the ground.

Then people scream.

Four people in Halloween masks walk the streets with guns in their hands. Your stomach lurches at the sight of two bodies at their feet. The men glance at each other before opening fire.

Bullets fly and people fall. You look up at Elijah in panic.

"We have to stop them!" you shout over the screams. Elijah sets his jaw and leaves your side, running toward the masked men. Soon, four guns go down to three, and three to two. You decide to go into a store to take cover of the remaining bullets that are still being fired. You start to run toward Witch's Boutique as fast as your human legs can carry you. You open the doors but a blinding pain in your back stops you. Your hands slide from the door handles. You look down and see your white t-shirt turning red.