Chapter 10: Friends Reunited

'What? How? All of the questions, you answer now!' Sypha cried out, tears spilling down her face.

'All I can think of is that Saint Germain opened the Infinite Corridor just before he died. I got the dagger into Death. He lit up like the sun. A second later I was inside the Corridor. Next thing I knew, I was lying on my face by the north bank of the Danube.'

'Well, I'll be damned,' Alucard mused softly, cracking a smile.

'We need some help over here, right now!' Sypha called out to the villagers. I fell on my knees beside Trevor, grasping his face, kissing his forehead.

'You are a fucking idiot, you went and died on me,' I growled. 'I hate you. But I'm fucking glad you're alive.' I let out more choked sobs.

'I'll be alright. I just need about a year's sleep and a new body,' Trevor groaned again. 'What about you? Is everything alright?' 

'I'm fine.' 

'Good. You know what scared me the most?'

'What?' 

'That you might end up calling the kid Trefor after all.'

'How did you know?' 

'Please. This is me. How do you think I've managed to stay single and carefree all these years?' Sypha gave him a dirty look and pushed him to the ground, and the horse whinnied, almost in merriment. 

'Can someone please come over here and kill this man?' she asked, stalking away from Alucard, myself, and the downed Trevor. 

'It won't be hard,' he groaned again weakly, and fully slumped to the forest floor. She scoffed, stopping in her tracks. 

'You are a rude idiot, Trevor Belmont!' she exclaimed. 

'I know.'

'And I love you,' she said, tears shining in her eyes. 

'I know,' he said, his eyes closing. 

'I said this man needs help!' Sypha called out and ran off to find someone. Alucard knelt next to Trevor. 

'Hello, Belmont,' he said softly. 'Now what was that trick with the dagger?' 

'Hello, Alucard.' He side-eyed me. 'Alyx.' He rolled over onto his side weakly. 'Well, there were fighters in Targovishte hiding in what turned out to be the royal family's treasure vault, and they were just taking things out of there as good luck charms. I started noticing things. Ended up collecting the pieces of something a mad wizard blacksmith made to enact a very one-sided murder-suicide pact with God. So.'

'So you knew the thing was probably lethal to you when you used it.' 

'Didn't see much of a choice.' 

'I tell you, Alucard, he's an idiot. Still my brother, but a feckless, lawless idiot,' I said with a soft laugh, choking on the remaining sobs. 

'What are all these people doing here?' Trevor asked, looking around. 

'Welcome to my village,' Alucard said, outstretching a hand to Trevor. 

'What's it called?' 

'Treffy,' he said with a cheeky smile. Alucard pulled Trevor to his feet. 

'Can someone please come over here and kill me?' Trevor groaned again in exasperation. He turned to the half-vampire. 'You look weirdly happy.'

'I - I weirdly am,' he said, casting his golden-eyed gaze towards me. 

'Oh, don't tell you two have done it too,' Trevor groaned. 'My little sister.' 

'Oh, hush. I'm not actually pregnant, brother. But Alucard and I, we're - better, I think. Less sad.' 

'It's been a strange ride,' Alucard chimed in. 'I'm happy it's over. The funny thing is, for the first time in my life, I have absolutely no idea what happens next. I just have this feeling that it's going to be worth it. That's exactly it. I'm weirdly happy.'

Sypha was standing a good distance away, and as people rushed to help Alucard and Trevor, Sypha put her head in her hands. 

'Are you all right?' Greta asked, walking up to her. She looked up - at Alucard, at Trevor, and at me, and then at Greta. 

'I think so. I think we finally won,' she said, tears springing to her eyes, and rolling down her cheeks.