Chapter one

Olivia's POV

I don't remember a time when I didn't run. I've spent so much time in my life hiding away from everything good, and everything bad that has happened to me. Maybe I did it to save myself from the heartache that was eventually coming. Maybe I did it to save the ones I love. Maybe I did it out of fear. I avoid conflict like it's the plague. I never allow myself to stay long enough to get attached. Not after the last time I tried. The second things start to seem too good to be true. I bolt with no solid reason why. I don't think that I will ever know the answer to the question that slowly creeps in from time to time like a slow burn.

I look up from the ground when I hear the loud squealing coming from my best friend that is barreling towards me full speed from across LAX airport. It has only been two weeks since I last saw her when I left London.

"I've missed you so much. I am so proud of you. I can't believe my best friend is performing tonight for the first time live on TV. I know it's only been 2-"

"Stella chill shhh." I try to get her to calm down from her excited word vomit before she draws in more attention around us. A hoodie and sunglasses can only cover so much up before we are spotted.

"I'm sorry, I am just really excited."

"I know but let's get to the car before somebody sees me."

It has only happened on rare occasions that someone recognizes me, but it has happened, and it never fails to end up on the internet. It's only been a few months since a video of me singing one of my own songs went viral. The day it happened Stella called me screaming and not even a week later my voice was playing through our radio speakers, and I got a call from a record label wanting to make a deal with me.

We make it to the car parked outside, and rush through the LA traffic to get to the flat that I had rented out a few weeks ago when I first came to America on a one-way ticket. Ever since then I have been in meetings with a manager named Liam at the record label that decided to sign me on with no intentions of going home soon.

Right away they started booking interviews, studio time and live shows for me to play at. Which will also lead up to me releasing my own album soon. Which explains why Stella is here for the next 2 weeks.

I don't know how it happened, but I will be performing my first single at the VMA's tonight. As soon as I found out I called Stella and booked her a flight right away. Everyday has been filled with rehearsals since we found out that I would be performing. Another artist had dropped at the last second due to an emergency.

I couldn't imagine doing this without my best friend. Stella has been the only constant in my life for as long as I can remember. She has always had this bright personality and light that follows everywhere she goes, while I on the other hand seem to be followed by a path of self-destruction.

As soon as we made it back into my flat it was time to start getting ready for the event. A team filled with designers and makeup and hair artists had rushed in with orders from Liam to get me ready for my first VMA performance. It is the same crew of people that have helped get me ready for every interview that I have done since this journey has started. I still cannot believe this is real. It has been a whirlwind of emotions and disbelief that this is my life now.

Stella also bounces around the room to get ready with pure excitement for tonight's events. She has been rambling nonstop since her arrival to LA. I think her incessant rambling is her way of trying to distract me from my own obvious nerves for tonight. This won't be my first performance in front of an audience, but this will be the largest performance I have ever done. Along with this being my first time on stage in front of other artists alike.