1

The first time that Xu Jiaqi rested her eyes on Kong Xueer, she felt inexplicably drawn to her.

It was a feeling that Jiaqi was unfamiliar with despite seeing attractive girls every day. Sure, they are pretty, but Jiaqi is prettiest and to Jiaqi, pretty is an attitude that looks so good on herself but on Xueer?

Wow.

Once Jiaqi caught sight of Xueer, no matter how much she tried, she couldn't look away.

With her doe eyes disappearing into crescents when she smiles, and she smiles a lot, her flawless fashion sense that makes one sneak a second glance when she walks by, Kong Xueer is someone who has charisma, and lots of it.

Kong Xueer also knows how to use it too.

In an auditorium full of girls hungry for the spotlight and a chance to show their dances to the university and maybe to the masses in the future, most if not all, who have been dancing for the better part of their lives, were hopelessly and helplessly captivated by Kong Xueer the minute that she took center stage.

Was it the way that her fiery red hair framed her face as she danced with practised ease?

Was it the unfaltering confidence that emanated from her entire being like she was born just to perform?

For Jiaqi, it was both but the second that Xueer ended her dance audition on stage with an eyebrow raised at her, as if challenging her, Jiaqi knew that her life would not be the same.

Since that day, Jiaqi could not get Kong Xueer out of her mind.

Even when Jiaqi was eating, dancing, about to fall asleep, even if Jiaqi was asleep, in her dreams, she dreamt of Kong Xueer and only Kong Xueer. Jiaqi didn't even dream before Kong Xueer.

For a month, Xu Jiaqi sat in her corner in the dance practice room, just watching Kong Xueer. When practices end later than usual, Kong Xueer would have refreshments ready for everyone. If someone was sick, Xueer would drop by their dorms to pass them food and medications. Within a month, Kong Xueer became everyone's trusted friend. Everyone except Xu Jiaqi.

The strange thing was, Kong Xueer never paid Xu Jiaqi much attention.

There were many opportunities for Xueer to do so like during water breaks, toilet breaks, after dance practices... even the paths that they take back to their dorm rooms are the same.

However, not once did Kong Xueer initiate a conversation with Xu Jiaqi, and Xu Jiaqi being Xu Jiaqi, did not see the point of getting close to a new member of their dance club. Human connections are fleeting, after all.

A little over a month later, Jiaqi found herself sweating buckets alone as she finished off her last practice for the night in the dance practice room. It was not surprising as it was about to be midnight and everyone else had left. Jiaqi tends to be lost in her zone and unaware of her surroundings when she dances.

As Jiaqi collapsed onto the ground and wiped the sweat off her face with a towel, there were deliberate knocks on the door and Jiaqi looked up to see Kong Xueer entering the room.

Xueer dipped her head slightly in greeting and casually asked, "You are still here?"

Jiaqi had a blank look as she stared at Xueer in silence.

All the while, Jiaqi's heartbeat quickened.

"I came to get my phone. I must have left it here." Xueer explained as she walked to the chair that was regularly used to place their belongings.

"Oh, I really did leave it here." Double tapping her screen with her right hand, as her left was holding a plastic water bottle, Xueer's lock screen wallpaper was shown and Jiaqi had to do a double take. Xueer's wallpaper was a picture of herself, Xueer.

Jiaqi thought that she was self-obsessed but not even Jiaqi had a wallpaper of herself on her phone. Kong Xueer must really be something else then.

"Do you think that I look pretty?" Xueer asked after finally catching Jiaqi staring.

Immediately, Jiaqi stood up at a loss for words.

"I..." Jiaqi started.

Being told that she was pretty, Jiaqi could accept. Being asked if someone else is pretty, Jiaqi had not encountered.

"I wasn't staring." Jiaqi answered.

?

Xueer giggled, "I didn't say that you were staring."

Creasing her eyebrows, Jiaqi looked as if she was glaring at Xueer, "Well, I was not staring."

Xueer blinked a few times as if observing Jiaqi, before she glanced at the clock.

"It is getting late. I will be going now. You can have the water. It is unopened." Xueer stretched out her hand, offering the water to Jiaqi.

...

A couple of moments passed while Jiaqi looked at the bottle of water in Xueer's hand.

"It's fine. Thanks. I will be going too."

Just as Jiaqi was about to pass her by, Xueer stopped Jiaqi in her tracks by gently resting her hand on Jiaqi's arm.

Jiaqi froze on the spot. Slowly turning her head, Jiaqi directed what she hoped was a nonchalant look at Xueer.

Flashing one of her swoon worthy smiles, Xueer suggested, "Shall we go together, Jiaqi? It is safer."

Not waiting for Jiaqi's reply, she walked past Jiaqi and led the way out of the dance practice room.

Not having a choice as Jiaqi was also heading the same way, Jiaqi followed after Xueer while keeping a distance. Jiaqi also adjusted her facial expression as she realised that the expression that she was making, felt weird on her face.

Lost in her own thoughts, Jiaqi must have replayed her name on Xueer's lips a million times.

No one has ever said her name so softly,

Jiaqi.