Chapter 6: Home and Family

We traveled with Dandelion for a couple of months till we parted ways in a nearby village outside of Nazair. When I mean parted, I mean I left at the cover of night wanting to get away from awkwardness and the tension between me and Geralt. As you could guess, we didn't talk throughout the journey, none of us having the words to say to each other. So I needed a break from him and he needed a break from me, in which I made my way towards Lyria to see if there was any work to be done. Turns out there was and now Scout and I were on our way to Kaer Morhen.

The air turned cold as the wind turned bitter, when Winter came around. Freshly fallen snow covered the trail, as Scout and I walked along. It would be around this time when all of the witchers would be in Kaer Morhen, because the monsters would be hibernating. I haven't been home for a couple of years, mainly because I know what Uncle Vesemir would say and do. The merely thought of is caused shivers down my spine.

Walking down the trail, I shiver as the winter wind passes me by making me pull my cloak closer to my body. Lifting my hands up to my mouth, I blow into them and rub them together, keeping my covered hands warm. Looking ahead I see the familiar path of the 'Witchers Trail', clicking my tongue I urge Scout towards the path.

The witchers path, or what me and the guys call it the Killer, was not only the only way to the keep but it was where we would train and improve our training. I remembered I would hate this path, Uncle Vesemir would make me train there all day and all night if I got in trouble. Which was all the time. Walking down the path, a flood of memories began to enter my mind. I hear the faint laughter of younger me and Geralt, looking to my left I see little me and Geralt playing tag. Geralt was it and tried to catch me, which led me to climb the tree. He pouts and stomped his feet.

"Thats not fair Negra! You're cheating." Resulting me to stick my tongue out on him.

" Catch me if you can wolfie!" I yelled jumping from one branch to another towards the keep.

" Negra! If you fall, Vesemir will have my head! Get Back Here." Geralt yells running after me with his little legs.

A smile came to my face as I watched, feeling a warm comfort coming from my chest as I remember. We were so young and innocent, there was no worry about monsters creeping at the night, or having to think about the trial. Seemed so long ago and there was no way back. We kept walking for a while before making the last turn and the keep coming in full view. Looking upon the ancient ruin you could see the cracks of the once strong stone, and the large gaps of the once strong foothold. Wild vines grew in between the cracks, as they climbed all throughout the walls and covered with snow and ice.

Walking across the strong, yet old, bridge we make our way towards the courtyard. Looking around, everything is covered in snow with some clear patches here and there. I hop off Scout and guided her towards the stables, where there was already a pile of fresh hay for her to eat. Giving Scout a final pet, I leave her at the stables and made my way towards the keep. Making it to the tall doors, I could hear the rough housing already of the boys either fighting or laughing, making my excitement.

Pushing the giant, yet very heavy, doors I see Lambert and Eskel in the middle of a sparing match. The other Witchers all around them with their tankards, smiles on their faces and yelling at the two. They have yet to notice me, making a mischievous smile grow on my face. I slowly and softly close the door behind me and began to creep my way towards the boys. Making sure to keep to the shadows, I crept around them staying close to the wall, as I made my way towards the tree of medallions. All the while taking one of the filled tankards.

Without them noticing, I began to climb the medallion tree, making sure to watch my footing as I moved around the hanging medallions of our fallen brothers. Pulling myself up, I adjust myself before resting myself on top of the trees trunk. I lean against one of its branches and continued watching the fight, while drinking from the tankard that I took from one of the tables.