Soft

The night smelled like rain.

In the small mellow house, sat a woman and man. The man is protecting the woman from contracted killers....

"So.... how you feeling?" Rose looked up. "Are we safe?" Jasper sighed and sat in front of her, she was tucked in a blanket. "When I joined this program, I vowed to make sure my extractors never got hurt.... you aren't just the mission, Rose." He reassured. This made her smile. "Hey, Rose..... I promise... when we get out. I'll help you get on your feet. You will have to leave Baltimore...." She frowned, leaving her home? How could she just up and leave? "Rose, I'm sorry." He said softly. She sniffed and he sat there, right next to the bed. "Will you get rest?" "No, I'm going to stay watch." "You will know. Besides how are you going to protect me if you don't get rest?" She said quietly. He sighed and set a chair on the wall. He leaned against it and smiled. "This will suffice." He said placing his gun on the drawer. Rose frowned but turned around, her back facing him and let darkness consume her. 

Jasper's pov

A promise.... to a girl I barely know. I could scoff.... If I complete this message, I could gain myself a promotion to the highest agent ever..... I could work for the President himself..... I chuckle at that.... working for the President.....I just hope she gets across safe.... god what am I saying, it's just a fucking job..... not an attachment mission..... 

Let look at my record....went to the highest high school review in the world.... bounced job from job, Mechanic, Limo driver, construction.... no relationships, did 4 tours in Afghanistan, received the medal of honor, honorably discharged two years ago, earned my way to here.. 

What my file doesn't show.... is my daughter..... born 2014... straight out of high school, I fucked up with a girl, we co parented until she turned 4, when her mother passed away.... she's 8 now.... She's with my mother..... 

I can leave, go home, live my life in DC while protecting our highest honor and being the dad my baby girl deserves.......

I sat on the balcony and turned to see Rose looking at me. "Who's that?" "This- this is my daughter...... her name's Kayla..... She'll be 9 in December and after my mission is complete.... I hope to go home to DC and see her." I said. "What about her mother?" "I uh- she died... car accident." "I'm sorry." I nodded. "Let's just get you home, Rose." A phone rang and I grabbed my gun. She stood behind me and I picked it up. "Agent Williams, I cannot tell you how unadvisable this is..... We need you and the girl to return home." "I understand sir, but I can not commit another killing here. We need to fight on our own terms. I'm filing a request for the escort to be with me." I said. "Copy. Your request will be reviewed." "What did you ask?" I sighed. "Targets under escort usually are hunted for days on end. I requested you to be under my protection even after we get home." I said. She nodded and smiled. "So..... your daughter...." I laughed and looked at the photo, and there I was ranting about her.