MORE THAN A BUMP IN THE ROAD

The week flies by fast, and you know what they say: Time flies when you're having fun! Or in this instance, extremely busy. Thankfully, there have been no casualties.

Kevin and Rook checked off half the list at the autoshow, during which Knockout was having the time of his life despite Bumblebee serving as his babysitter. On Earth, Ben went about his days as he usually does, just with Gwen by his side instead of Rook. Sometimes, Starscream or Moonracer accompanied them, as both were going stir crazy, being stuck inside working on plans for the machine that is inevitably going to be built. Whenever they did go out, Steeljaw remained inside with Khyber, both working tirelessly, only taking breaks when necessary.

Those "breaks" have become concerningly frequent, and no matter what advice is bestowed upon Steeljaw, it never pans out. He is still very tired, hungry, and emotionally unstable. As if that isn't enough, he has started gaining weight, too. Everyone assumes that it's a mix of everything going on.

For Steeljaw, his only saving grace is the time he spends with Khyber. The hunter doesn't say anything, just minds his own business. However, Steeljaw can't help the sneaking suspicion that said hunter knows something about what is going on. Again, Khyber doesn't speak a word on the topic, but the swift glances that Steeljaw receives throughout the day and night are more than a little suspicious.

He'll ask about it tomorrow.

Little does he know that they are all going to get more than they bargained for.

~

The morning starts out normal. Carl and Steeljaw talk for a bit before the former has to head off to work. Bumblebee and Moonracer help Sandra with breakfast. Knockout and Starscream fight for primary hot shower rights. Ben and Rook pick up the Cybertronians at the usual time and bring them to HQ, but that's where the normalcy of the past week and a half ends. As soon as they arrive, Steeljaw is regurgitating everything he ate that morning, followed by labored breathing, shaky limbs, abdominal pain, a migraine...

"He's waking up."

"How do you know?"

"Hunter's intuition."

Steeljaw must've passed out because the last thing he remembered was getting out of the truck, and now, he's lying down in Khyber's workspace.

SJ: "Urgh... What's going on?"

MR: "Oh, bless the stars, you're awake!"

Moonracer lunges forward and wraps her arms around Steeljaw. He relishes in the warm, caring embrace, slowly leaning into it.

BEN: "Not a word, Khyber."

The hunter chuckles.

KHYBER: "No need to take the fun out of everything, Tennyson."

The Cybertronians ignore the conflict in the interest of checking in on their team-mate.

BB: "Steeljaw, are you alright?"

SJ: "You mean aside from everything else that seems to be wrong with me and only me?"

BB: "At least your attitude isn't gone, so I'll count that as a plus."

A red blur approaching him out of the corner of his eye triggers something in Steeljaw. Without a second thought, he jumps out of Moonracer's hold and attacks.

KO: "WHOA!"

Or, what his instincts were telling him was the enemy.

The shout breaks Steeljaw out of whatever mindset he's trapped in and returns to reality. In front of him is a startled Knockout, eyes wide and one hand clutching the other. He is leaning against a similarly expressed Starscream, who attempted to catch the fleeing doctor then lost his footing.