FIRST MORNING

Steeljaw wakes up to a strange smell. It's strong, but he can't tell if he likes it or not. He blinks open his eyes and is confused at first by his surroundings. Bright walls and colorful fabrics are illuminated by sunlight filtering in through the windows. On the other side, bright blue sky and green foliage.

The sights jog his memory, and he huffs in annoyance.

Oh, right. New dimension. New forms. And no way to know how to get back home.

His gaze shifts to his team-mates, all of whom are fast asleep.

Guess it's just me for now. Might as well look around and get used to things.

Steeljaw yawns as he rises to his paws and stretches, then follows the scent to its source, being careful not to disturb the others. He pokes his head through a doorway and scans the room.

Only a table and chairs.

He walks further into the room and sniffs the air. His ears flick and catch the sound of someone – scratch that – two people moving about.

SANDRA: "Oh my!"

Steeljaw expected the humans to be startled, but he still jumped a little himself, on edge with all that's happened. He looks to the left where Sandra and an unknown man are standing on opposite sides of a long countertop.

The man appears to be around Sandra's age, just a little taller, with fair skin, brown eyes, and brown hair, wearing a white dress shirt, brown pants, and brown shoes. He holds a mug in one hand and a newspaper in the other.

SANDRA: "I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting any of you to wake up so early!"

Steeljaw scans the humans. There is nothing to suggest negativity, although the man seems a little skeptical, looking at him through narrowed eyes.

SJ: "It's alright."

The man has to do a double-take.

CARL: "You speak English?"

SJ: "Yes. Why wouldn't I?"

CARL: "Sorry, I meant no offense by it! Excuse my behavior. It's still early."

Steeljaw relaxes. He sympathizes with the man's sentiment regarding working at ungodly hours.

SJ: "No offense taken. I'm just not used to..."

He gestures to himself, indicating his organic body.

SJ: "This."

CARL: "Oh... Oh, right! I forgot you're not from around here! I mean, you're not from this world! I mean, this universe!"

Steeljaw tilts his head. He doesn't remember discussing such things with this human. Seeing his confusion, Sandra decides it's time to step in.

SANDRA: "Ben and the others came by for dinner last night and filled us in on the situation, and Carl and I – by the way, this is my husband, Carl, Ben's father – agreed to let you all stay here for as long as you need to."

CARL: "Yes, so long as you don't destroy the house."

Steeljaw looks at the humans questioningly.

CARL: "Trouble likes to follow Ben wherever he goes, and sometimes he brings that trouble here."

SANDRA: "Not intentionally, of course!"

A beep from one of the machines diverts Sandra's attention back to work.

CARL: "So, what's your name?"

SJ: "Hm?"

CARL: "Your name. What are we supposed to call you?"