Chapter 12: Do Festival

You and Paru were hanging out near the lake on the Gold-Phase side while Suresh and Ajay were trying to explain their plans to occupy the lake. You could clearly see your B-phase friends at their dock, and could tell that they were probably listening in on your conversation. 

"So let me get this straight," you said, trying to keep a serious face. "You want to build... a wall?" You were holding in your laughter at this point. 

"Yes," Ajay answered, confused as to why you were acting this way. You burst into laughter, confusing everyone. 

"Hey, what's so funny about that," Suresh asked, irritated.

"Y'all really think you're Donald Trump, don't you," you were full on bent over, wheezing. 

"Huh?" Everyone was confused, only Paru really understanding what you were referring to, as she also started to smile at your antics. 

"Paru, remember that video I showed you? 'Do you wanna build a waaaalll? We'll get Mexico to pay,'" Paru started laughing too, as you pulled up the video to show the others, who weren't as amused (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVN17U3Vg34 - if you haven't seen this). 

"But seriously," you started, your laughter subsiding, "why don't you just compromise? I'm sure you all could work something out and avoid all these legal troubles." Srinu's lawyer uncle had obtained a stay order, and this would likely be a messy ordeal if things kept going this way. 

"Are you joking? Why should we back down?" Ajay said.

"No one is backing down, but you could probably resolve this if there wasn't so much tension between everyone," you stated.

Suresh rolled his eyes at you. "You've only been here for a couple of months, what do you know? Just don't get involved, okay?"

You scowled at him, looking at Paru. See? She shook her head. "Suresh, don't get upset, y/n is just trying to help." Suresh just scoffed. 

"Anyways, we're getting a ten-foot tall clay Ganesha this year for Vinayaka Chavithi," Ajay said, changing the topic. You perked up.

"Ooh, that sounds like fun! I've never actually properly celebrated Vinayaka Chavithi," you said.

"Then we'll make sure this is the grandest celebration in Gold-phase history. I'm sure Rakesh would be on board as well," Paru added sneakily. 

"Also, do you remember how I told you I had one vow I had to fulfill since I got into medical school?" Paru nodded, listening to you. "Well, for the festival, I wanted to sing a couple of kritis for Ganesha and get an abhishekam done, could you help me arrange it?" You asked. 

"Sure, I'll talk to the pandits and let you know," Ajay said. 

"Great! Thank you so much!" You thanked Ajay. 

---

Soon, the day of Vinakaya Chavithi came. Paru and you had been spending a lot of time in B-phase, with Paru learning magic tricks from Abhi, and you tutoring Satya. Satya was not bad, but you felt like her focus was not always on what you were doing. Nevertheless, her grades did improve, so at least there was that. You also spent some more time with Padhu, the two of you learning KPOP dances together and singing gibberish in her room. Lakshmi sometimes asked you to give her a ride occasionally to if she didn't feel like going with Abhi, and the two of you bonded that way. Overall, your friendships seemed to be blossoming into flowers. 

On Vinayaka Chavithi, you woke up early, taking a quick shower and changing into a traditional silk, pink and orange langa voni (half-saree). Making sure you had all of the materials for the abhishekam, your driver took you alone to one of the bigger temples in the area, where both B-phase and Gold-phase people came. The head priest greeted you and showed you to the Ganesha shrine, where you set up your shruti box and took out your notes just in case. Having arrived a bit early, you had enough time to warm up your voice and go over your songs one last time in your head. Despite growing up in America, you loved Carnatic music, and hadn't sang for God in a long time. Luckily, you weren't really expecting anyone to come and watch you, only any people who may be passing by. You thought more people would actually stay and watch when the abhishekam was happening, so you were happy without an audience.