Chapter 3: Office

A week passed since you arrived in Hyderabad, giving you some time to overcome your jetlag and get over the typical climate-change sickness. You were starting to come out more often, finally able to stay awake past 2 PM and stop waking up at ungodly hours in the morning. Since Paru was preparing for her Miss India pageant, you and her decided to go on a jog every morning. 

You had woken up that morning around 6:30, quickly brushing your teeth and washing your face, before putting on some black leggings and a sleeveless top. You and Paru went downstairs, wearing your socks and shoes, and went outside, stretching briefly before starting at around 7:15. You guys talked a little, laughing as you made jokes. As you passed by houses, someone came outside, calling your name.

"y/n!" You looked in the direction of the voice.

"Oh, hi Rakesh," you said, waving. Rakesh came up to you both, dressed in workout clothes.

"Are you guys jogging?" he asked.

"No, we're preparing for a zombie apocalypse," you deadpanned with a straight face. Rakesh laughed nervously. 

"Hahaha, you're so funny!" He looked at Paru, who got the hint and jogged a little behind, giving the two of you a bit of space. 

"So y/n, how are you doing? I haven't really seen you since the match," asked Rakesh.

"I'm okay, just getting used to the time and climate change, you know," you answered, struggling a bit to keep up with his longer strides. 

Rakesh noticed and slowed down, letting you catch up. "Yeah, yeah, of course. You should come by the company's office sometime, I can show you around."

You looked up at him, nodding. "Yeah, maybe sometime I'll stop by," you said half-heartedly. You weren't really sure why he was approaching you or what his intentions were.

"Do you have any plans tomorrow? I can pick you up and we can go," Rakesh offered. 

Not really finding any reason to decline, you accepted. "Sure."

"Great! See you tomorrow at 8:30!" Rakesh waved bye and ran back towards his house. Shrugging, you fell back into step with Paru, who had a cheeky smile on her face.

"What?"

"Nothing," Paru said, her smile growing. 

---

The next day, Rakesh picked you up, arriving a bit earlier than expected. You were practically running out the door, with your heels in hand. You opened the car door, getting into the passenger seat. 

"Is it okay if I sit here?" you asked.

"Ayyo, of course! I would be upset if you sat in the back like a stranger," Rakesh said, flashing a grin at you. You smiled back, leaning down to put on your heels. 

"You know, you didn't have to dress up so much, you're a guest," said Rakesh, addressing the business casual outfit you were wearing. 

"Yeah, I know, but I just figured that I should look a bit presentable and not too out of place," you replied. 

"Oh, you don't need to worry about that, you're my guest. No one would dare to say a single thing." You rolled your eyes, telling him to just drive. 

You both reached the office and Rakesh parked the car, leading you into the building. Immediately, the security guards and staff were greeting you, folding their hands and saying 'Good Morning Sir, Madame' addressing the two of you. Rakesh grabbed your hand and took you around, showing you the various meeting rooms and workspaces. 

The two of you ran into Ajay, who gave Rakesh a teasing look after noticing your hands, which you promptly let go off. Rakesh shot Ajay a glare, before taking you to his office. Suresh also ran into you guys, and you quickly said hi and left, hiding your disdain for him. 

"So this is my office," Rakesh closed the door behind him while you walked towards the big window across from his desk. You looked outside, admiring the view of the vibrant green grass and brilliant blue sky. 

"You have a really nice view, it's so beautiful," you said, not taking your eyes off.

"I can think of something more beautiful," Rakesh replied, admiring your side profile. 

"Huh?" You looked at him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. 

"Nothing, nothing. Do you want anything to eat, drink? Feel free to ask for anything," he said, wanting you to feel comfortable. 

"No, I'm okay. I'm still trying to avoid outside food and water for a while before my body adjusts," you explained. 

"That's no problem, but we do have bottled mineral water, and I can get you clean food if needed," Rakesh insisted. He got out a bottle of water, which you accepted and thanked him for, quickly taking a drink. 

"Do you want to have lunch? It's almost 1," he said, checking his watch. Shocked at the time, you checked your phone too. 

"It's already 1? I promised Paru I would go shopping with her for her pageant at 2," you said.

"Oh ok, no problem," Rakesh said, slightly disappointed.

"I'm sorry, maybe some other time for sure," you replied, feeling a bit bad.

"Hey, don't worry. I can drop you if you want," he offered.

"That's okay, I'll just call our driver, he should be here quickly." You texted the driver, asking him to come to the office. 

"I'll walk you downstairs and wait with you then." Rakesh said. You both went to the elevator, making light conversation. 

"Thanks for inviting me, Rakesh, the building is very nice."

"Of course, stop by anytime you want, I'm usually here so you can always just ask to see me and they'll let you up. In fact, let's exchange numbers," he boldly said. 

Warily, you handed him your phone, allowing him to enter in his number and call himself. Your car arrived, and you waved goodbye.

"Hey, y/n! Before I forget, we're having a little hangout at Ajay's place tomorrow. Paru's probably coming, but you should also come too," Rakesh said.

"Yeah, I'll be there." You got into the car, waving goodbye as the driver drove away.