Chapter 10: Church Bells

Dear Joanna,

I was in a terrible accident on the PT 109, I'm safe, the nurses said I'm fine, just might have more back problems in the future. A Japanese destroyer hit our ship throwing us in and out of the boat. I was able to save most of my crew. I got metals for the bravery I presented that week. Seamen Andrew Jackson Kirksey and Harold William Marney were killed instantly, and two other members of the crew were badly injured when they were thrown into the flaming sea surrounding the boat. The rest of us are in recovery but we're doing good.

It's been an emotional week, we're exhausted and malnourished, it was a very tolling experience on all of us. I almost died, a few times actually but I knew I couldn't lose, and the Lord knew it wasn't my time to go. I have a picture of us in my pocket everyday and that gave me so much strength to keep going. I miss our drinking games, but we might have to revise the rules so, that doesn't happen again. I miss you and everyone else so much, give them my greetings. I have to get going but I'll write to you later.

Love Jack.

♡Joanna's POV♡

When I saw the letter from Jack, I was excited, but as I read it, I broke down into tears. I couldn't think about my life without Jack. I wouldn't have a bestfriend, I wouldn't have my guaranteed daily laugh, I'd be missing so much of my own life if I didn't have Jack with me.

I read the letter with Bobby, I wanted someone else to know I heard from him, so I chose my second bestfriend and Jack's brother, Bobby. He never heard about the day at the water so I made sure to dodge any questions.

"Joanna, wanna go celebrate down by the beach?" Bobby asked holding up a bottle of tequila and our favorite mixers. "Definitely." I answered running to my house to grab my necessities, my bathing suit, towels, and snacks.

When Bobby and I were younger we made our own secret hideout on the beach. It was a little wooden house, like a tree house but on the beach. We did improve it over the years so we wouldn't die from whatever came to seek shelter. The nails were old too, didn't need diseases.

Bobby and I sat there talking about the past, present, and future. "How was Harvard?" He asked shaking me by the shoulder excited for me. "good, it was a lot of work but I enjoyed it, I'm very passionate about it." I answered putting my hand on top of his making him stop shaking me. "I'm so proud of you Joanna, you're gonna be a baddass lawyer." He said with a laugh. "Thanks Bob, I appreciate you." I said smiling.

○[Third person]○

While the moon gleemed on the water, and the waves crashed against the wall of the border just a mile away, The boy pulled the older girl into him. Throughout the night Bobby and Joanna got more intoxicated therefore, more enticed. It was like Joanna's night with Jack, but with less footsteps.

While Joanna got her clothes situated, Bobby finished packing everything up out of the hideout. After everything was packed, the pair made their way back to their respective homes only saying a few words to each other.

 After everything was packed, the pair made their way back to their respective homes only saying a few words to each other

•[Third person]•
○{May 6th, 1944}○

1944, Kathleen made what many considered a brilliant marriage although her parents would disagree.

She was to be married to William "Billy" Harrington, the Marquess of Hartington, the heir to the 10th Duke of Devonshire. Kathleen became the Marchioness of Harrington.

Her mother was incensed that Kathleen would marry an Anglican and refused to attend the wedding ceremony. Only Kathleen's eldest brother, Joe Kennedy, Jr., attended the ceremony.

Joanna was asked to go and couldn't say no to one of her closest friends. Plus, she felt bad that the brides family wasn't going to be there. Joanna couldn't imagine planning a whole wedding just for her family not to be there, that why all her boyfriends were Catholic. But it's also a rule that Joanna has made for herself.

Joanna was glad Joe could go, it gave the bride a little bit of joy knowing one of her brothers attended and it gave them time to hangout. Joanna knew that if she was getting married and her family wasn't there, she'd be really sad.

"Fancy seeing you here Joe." Joanna said bumping the man's shoulder with her own. "No no, fancy seeing YOU here Joanna." He said with a small chuckle. Joanna was the maid of honor, none of Kathleen's sister went, or family members really, only Joe jr.

Then, four months later, Billy was killed in the war and Kathleen became a widow. It wasn't long before Kathleen was back in the social whirl of London parties and country estate weekends, and with a new man, a married man.

He was Peter Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 8th Earl Fitzwilliam. Kathleen fell madly for him and publicly became his mistress. Rose was furious, but not why you'd think. She was enraged because Peter, like Kathleen's first husband, Billy, was an Anglican and not a Catholic. Nevertheless, over her mother's objections, Kathleen planned to wed Peter after his divorce, Catholic or not.

Their wedding never came about. In a 1948 trip to the south of France, both Peter and Kathleen died in an airplane crash. Still furious with Kathleen, Rose Kennedy did not attend her daughter's funeral and discouraged Kathleen's eight surviving siblings from attending.

Only Kathleen's father, Joseph P. Kennedy, attended her funeral service. Kathleen Kennedy Cavendish was buried in the Cavendish family plot in Devonshire, England. There her body remains today.

Joanna did fly to England with Joseph Sr. for Kathleen's funeral, she felt bad for her friend, she just wanted to be happy and her family didn't agree with it.