Chapter 9: Confusing Times

○{August 1st to the 8th, 1943}○
●《Background on the boat crash》●

The starless, moonless night of August 1st, 1943. Inky blackness like this could have a disorienting effect, even on experienced sailors.

At about 2:30 in the morning, a shape loomed out of the darkness three hundred yards off PT 109. The young lieutenant and his crew first believed it to be another PT boat. When it became apparent that it was one of the Japanese destroyers.

The destroyer, struck PT 109, the impact tossed Kennedy around the cockpit. Most of the crew were knocked into the water. Fear that PT 109 would go up in flames drove Kennedy to order the men who still remained on the wreck to abandon ship. But the destroyer's wake dispersed the burning fuel, and when the fire began to subside, Kennedy sent his men back to what was left of the boat.

Kennedy swam out to McMahon and Charles Harris. Kennedy towed the injured McMahon by a life-vest strap, and berated the exhausted Harris to get him through the difficult swim. All the men were exhausted, hurt, and sick by the fuel fumes.

The wreckage was still afloat, taking on water, capsized on the morning of August 2nd. The men abandoned the remains of PT 109 and struck out for an islet three and a half miles away.

Kennedy, towing Patrick McMahon by a belt clamped in his teeth, was undaunted by the distance. Two of the men could not swim. Kennedy and McMahon arrived first at the island. Exhausted, he had to be lifted up the beach.

Kennedy's swimming was not over. The return voyage nearly killed him as strong currents spun him out into Blackett Strait and then back into Ferguson Passage. Making the weary trip again, Kennedy stopped on Leorava Island, southeast of Bird Island, where he slept long enough to recoup himself for the final leg of the trip.

Fearing enemy patrols, the two men stepped carefully through the brush but only saw the wreck of a small Japanese vessel out on the reef. On the beach they spotted a small box with Japanese labels. When they broke it open, they were delighted to discover that it contained Japanese candy. Even better, a little further up the island they discovered a tin of water and a one man canoe hidden in the bushes.

The next morning, August 7th, eight islanders appeared at Naru shortly after Kennedy and Ross awoke. They brought food and instructions from the local Allied coastwatcher, Lt. A. Reginald Evans, who instructed Kennedy to come to Evans's post.

The rescue went forward without incident, and the men of PT 109 reached the US base at Rendova at 5:30 a.m. on August 8th. For his courage and leadership, Kennedy was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, and injuries suffered during the incident also qualified him for a Purple Heart.

○{August 11th, 1943}○
♤Jack's POV♤

It's been a few days since the crash and I have no idea if my family knows about what happened so I thought it would be safe to send Joanna a letter.

Dear Joanna,

I was in a terrible accident on the PT 109, I'm safe, the nurses said I'm fine, just might have more back problems in the future. A Japanese destroyer hit our ship throwing us in and out of the boat. I was able to save most of my crew. I got metals for the bravery I presented that week. Seamen Andrew Jackson Kirksey and Harold William Marney were killed instantly, and two other members of the crew were badly injured when they were thrown into the flaming sea surrounding the boat. The rest of us are in recovery but we're doing good.

It's been an emotional week, we're exhausted and malnourished, it was a very tolling experience on all of us. I almost died, a few times actually but I knew I couldn't lose, and the Lord knew it wasn't my time to go. I have a picture of us in my pocket everyday and that gave me so much strength to keep going. I miss our drinking games, but we might have to revise the rules so, that doesn't happen again. I miss you and everyone else so much, give them my greetings. I have to get going but I'll write to you later.

Love Jack.

When I went to college we distanced, I didn't go to Hyannis Port during the summer of '36 because I was doing extra studies. In '37 I went back and that's when Joanna and I had fun down at the beach.

When I was 15, I got my first girlfriend, when I was 16 I lost my virginity. After that I couldn't stay serious with anyone, I didn't know why. I'd be getting a headaches after 3 days without intimacy. In my 20's I'd be getting intimacy but I'd be thinking about my bestfriends begs and pleas from years prior. I didn't know why, but eventually, the thoughts left.

Joanna got a boyfriend in '36, we distanced a little until April of 1937, they were still together in April but we both needed it. It was day 3 for me, and for joanna, I don't actually know, but she consented so we continued. After that, Joanna broke up with her boyfriend but never explained to me why.