forty •

The precinct buzzed with excitement on the day of Lopez and Wesley's wedding. I couldn't be happier for them.

But the joyous atmosphere was shattered when the news of the sudden disappearance of West and Lopez spread. The entire LAPD quickly mobilised, our main focus now locating their missing colleagues.

I had only recently returned to work. But I felt ready to join the efforts to find Lopez and West. I was needed, they needed me. My resilience and experience made me an invaluable asset to the team.

We all gathered in the briefing room. I knew first hand the fear and uncertainty that came with being abducted. I was committed to ensuring the safe return of Lopez and West.

Video footage casted a shadow over the precinct. I couldn't believe Jackson was gone. I couldn't find it within myself to believe it was true, even though I'd seen it with my own eyes.

As the investigation progressed, I presented an unwavering determination to find them. When I found out Nolan and Bradford were travelling to where Lopez was, I wanted to go with them. I believed I would be able to help.

Apparently the willingness I had to sacrifice myself for the sake of Lopez and her unborn baby sparked concern in Bradford.

Our disagreement unfolded into a tense moment within a private room. Tim's frustration was evident as he confronted me. "Maddy, you can't keep doing this! We've already lost you once, and we've already permanently lost one of our own today. I can't stand by and watch you continuously throw yourself into danger like it's nothing."

I stood my ground, looking back at him with a mix of determination and frustration. "I can't just stand by either, Tim. We're supposed to protect each other. That's what we do. I can't let Lopez face whatever the hell she's in alone. We owe her that much." I insisted.

Tim's voice softened, his concern for me and Lopez palpable. "I understand, Maddy. I do. But risking your life recklessly will not help anyone. We need you. I need you." He admitted.

"I can't just sit here, Tim. She's family. I need to go with Nolan, please." I begged, although this seemed to agitate Tim again.

The tension in the small room escalated. His frustration finally boiled over, and it the midst of my words; begging him to let me go.

His voice raised, and he blurted out, "dammit Maddy! Do you think I'm telling you no because I don't care? It's because I love you. I can't stand seeing you put yourself in danger every damn time." He angrily admitted.

His words hung in the air, he seemed to now realise what he'd admitted. I was taken back by the raw honesty in Tim's voice. I felt a mix of emotions; surprise; confusion; and a hint of something else. I couldn't place my finger on that emotion though.

I took a moment to absorb his confession before I responded. My tone had softened, "Tim... I had no idea. I never knew you felt that way," my voice wavered as my own emotions surfaced.

I watched as Tim ran a hand through his hair, his frustrations giving way to vulnerability. "I never meant for you to find out like this. But I can't pretend anymore. I care about you, Maddy. Maybe more than I should." He admitted.

I sighed, unable to find the energy to compartmentalise this situation and Lopez being missing. I was emotionally drained. "We can't deal with this now, Tim. I'm sorry. We need to focus on finding Lopez. We'll talk about it later, I promise." I promised Tim.

The weight of Tim's words hung heavy in the air, a truth that neither of us could ignore. But the urgency of the situation demanded our attention. With a reluctant nod, Tim swallowed his emotions, putting them aside for the time being.

"You're right, Maddy," he said, his voice steady despite the turmoil in his eyes. "Lopez needs us now. We'll deal with this...whatever it is, later."

With a deep breath, I pushed my own emotions aside, focusing on the task at hand. The urgency of finding Lopez and West fueled my determination. Together, Tim and I joined Nolan on the mission to locate our missing colleagues.

The journey was arduous, each moment filled with tension and worry. Every lead we pursued seemed to slip through our fingers, leaving us with a growing sense of frustration. But amidst the uncertainty, Tim and I found solace in each other's presence. Despite the unspoken emotions lingering between us, our camaraderie remained steadfast. We leaned on one another for support, a silent understanding passing between us.

Finally, after days of relentless pursuit, we received a lead that seemed promising. With a renewed sense of hope, we followed the trail, our determination unyielding.

As the urgency of our mission intensified, Tim, Nolan and I found ourselves facing a situation that demanded swift action. We needed to catch a plane to reach Lopez, who was being held in a remote location, far from the prying eyes of law enforcement. The plane available to us was far from ideal-it was dodgy, operating under the radar to avoid unwanted attention.

The evening was shrouded in darkness as we made our way to the makeshift airstrip. The distant hum of the plane's engines echoed through the night, setting the stage for a tense journey ahead. Tim and I exchanged a determined glance, silently acknowledging the risks but understanding the necessity of this daring move.

As we boarded the plane, the interior was dimly lit, with worn-out seats and a palpable sense of unease among the passengers. The atmosphere was charged with anticipation and fear, each person on board fully aware of the perilous journey they were about to undertake.

Tim, Nolan and I found our seats, buckling up as the engines roared to life. The plane taxied down the makeshift runway, gaining speed as it prepared for takeoff. The cabin trembled, and the noise of the engines drowned out all other sounds. I could feel the tension in the air, a silent anticipation of what lay ahead.

The plane lifted off the ground, ascending into the night sky with a jolt that sent a shiver down my spine. I glanced at Tim, his expression mirroring my own mixture of anxiety and determination. We were on a mission, one that required us to brave the uncertainties of this risky flight.

As the plane soared higher, the city lights below became mere twinkling dots, and the vast darkness of the night surrounded us. In the confined space of the plane, Tim and I huddled closer, finding comfort in each other's presence amidst the turbulence.

Hours passed, and the plane continued its journey, flying under the radar to avoid detection. Every moment felt precarious, but our shared resolve kept us grounded. We held on to the belief that this daring move was the key to reaching Lopez and West in time.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the plane began its descent. The tension inside the cabin heightened as we approached the landing. The pilot expertly navigated the challenging terrain, bringing the plane down with a controlled precision that left us in awe.

As the plane touched the ground with a thud, a collective sigh of relief swept through the cabin. Tim and I exchanged a glance, a silent acknowledgment of our shared triumph over the odds. We had made it, against all expectations.

With cautious steps, we disembarked from the plane, greeted by the unfamiliar surroundings of a foreign land. The mission to rescue Lopez and West was now in full swing, and our determination burned brighter than ever. Together, Tim, Nolan and I ventured into the unknown, ready to face whatever challenges awaited us.