twelve •

I felt a mix of excitement and responsibility the day the Captain told me she felt as though I was entirely ready to be a training officer.

Of course all of it was still dependent on my ability and my progress, but Captain Anderson had enough faith in me that she'd given me clearance.

Today they'd given me Officer West, who was a prodigy cop. From what I'd heard, he was brilliant. So I was excited to have some sort of part in West's training, even though majority of the credit belonged to Officer Lopez.

As I approached my shop, I saw West had already loaded the shop with the gear. "Good job, Boot. Now, what's the usual routine with checking the shop before we leave?" I asked.

West begin to explain checking the shop for any damages, checking the backseat to ensure nothing had been left, ensuring all materials were in the boot, etc.

Immediately, without even having him on the streets yet, I could see there was plenty of potential.

I watched as West headed for the drivers seat, "I'm driving," I told him, and he quickly ushered to the other side and climbed in.

As we were patrolling the city streets of Los Angeles, we received a dispatch call on the radio about a domestic disturbance at a nearby residence. West picked up the radio, showing us responding.

Upon arrival, we approached the house cautiously. We both assessed the situation before taking any form of action.

As we reached the door, I knocked loudly. But there was no answer. "LAPD." I called out, but they were unlikely to hear over their own yelling. I kicked the door down, there was a heated argument occurring between two individuals.

"Alright. Both of you, take a step back." I instructed, watching as the couple looked at us in shock and stepped back.

"What's happened?" I enquired now that they'd stepped away from each other. West stood beside me, waiting for any form of instructions as he closely observed the situation at hand.

The middle aged man appeared upset, as he responded, "she's just overreacting, officers. I don't mean any harm." He insisted.

West, maintaining a calm tone, chimed in. "We understand things for heated. We're here to listen. Let's try to work this out together." West calmly negotiated.

"What led to this argument? Let's hear from both of you." I softly enquired.

The woman wiped away tears before she explained, "we've been under a lot of stress lately, and this just boiled over. I didn't mean to yell, but I felt so frustrated."

I nodded empathetically, "it's okay to feel frustrated ma'am. But it's not okay to resort to yelling. Let's find a way to resolve this peacefully." I offered.

Whilst working together, we listened to the concerns of the married couple that husband had been doing 'too many hours at work'. Eventually, we resolved the issue. The married couple agreed to cooperate, and promised to work in their communication (as well as their anger management).

Once the situation was diffused, West and I exchanged a brief glance, silently acknowledging the successful resolution. It felt like a small victory, but a significant one nonetheless. Guiding West through this first encounter, I realized the weight of responsibility that came with being a training officer. Every interaction, every decision, held the potential to shape a new officer's approach to their duties.

Back in the patrol car, West glanced at me, his eyes filled with a mix of determination and curiosity. "Thanks for your guidance, Officer Hale. I didn't expect things to get that intense."

I offered him a reassuring smile. "It's all part of the job, West. Every situation is different, and learning to handle the unexpected is essential. You did well, kept your composure. Just remember, empathy and patience go a long way."

He nodded, absorbing my words. "I'll keep that in mind, Officer Hale. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from you."

As we continued patrolling the city, I shared some of my own experiences, offering insights and advice garnered from years on the force. The night passed in a blur of dispatch calls, routine checks, and the occasional moment of intensity. Through it all, West remained attentive, soaking in the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the challenges of being a police officer.

Towards the end of our shift, we received a call about a missing child. The urgency in the dispatcher's voice jolted us into action. We rushed to the scene, our senses heightened, ready to assist in any way we could.

Upon arrival, we joined the search efforts, combing through the area alongside fellow officers and concerned neighbors. The sense of community was palpable as everyone banded together with a shared goal - to find the missing child and bring them back safely to their family.

After what felt like an eternity of searching, we spotted a small figure huddled behind a bush in a nearby park. It was the missing child, frightened and disoriented. West and I approached slowly, our voices gentle and reassuring.

"Hey there, it's going to be okay," I said softly, my heart aching for the child. "We're here to help. What's your name?"

The child, tearful and scared, whispered their name. With utmost care, we guided them back to their worried parents, who enveloped them in a tight embrace, their gratitude overflowing.

As we watched the family reunite, West turned to me, his eyes filled with a mixture of relief and gratitude. "Thank you, Officer Hale. I wouldn't have known what to do without your guidance."

I clapped a hand on his shoulder, offering him a warm smile. "You did great, West. Remember, we're here to protect and serve. Every day brings new challenges, but with the right mindset and training, we can make a difference."

Our shift ended on that note, and as we headed back to the station, I felt a sense of fulfillment. Guiding a new officer through their first experiences was both challenging and rewarding. The responsibility weighed heavily on my shoulders, but seeing West's growth and confidence made it all worthwhile.