eleven •

Nolan and I were working together today. I was slowly working towards getting full clearance from Captain Anderson to be a Training Officer.

Bishop had warned me that Nolan was a talker, but I just assumed maybe she wasn't in the mood or she wasn't that big of a talker.

As soon as we climbed into the shop, Nolan begin to speak. He knew I'd known about him and Chen, because she'd confided in me after Bishop told her she knew. I had told Chen that it would shadow her for the rest of her career, but if she loved Nolan- it may be worth it.

At the end of the day, he ended things when he discovered Bishop and I knew; so I guess it wasn't true love after all.

"You know, being on my own for once is actually liberating." Nolan speaks, I look to him. It was clear that he was only trying to reassure himself that it was liberating.

"Keep trying to convince yourself of that, Nolan." I told him, chuckling lightly.

Nolan turned his head to look at me, appearing offended. "I mean, I can see how it might make someone feel less than. The secret is just to see the positive. That's my plan for the day. What about you?" He asks.

Oh right, it was Valentine's Day today. I'd forgotten. That in itself says a lot about my plans for the day.

"What about me?" I ask.

"Well, I realized I don't know anything about your personal life. Are you single? Dating? In a relationship?" Nolan enquires.

"No." I reply shortly.

"That's unhelpful." Nolan scoffs.

"Exactly. Valentine's Day is a manufactured holiday that does nothing but make those alone feel lonelier. And those who are in relationships feel disappointed because life isn't a fairy tale." I ramble off my opinions about the day.

Nolan appears in thought for a moment, it makes him remain silent for a few seconds.

"Is that why Lopez said not to bother inviting you? 'Cause of your hatred of all things love-related?" He asks.

"Not at all." I reply shortly once again.

Dispatch calls over the radio, '7-Adam-15, single car accident. 1530 crescent heights. Unknown injuries.'

"7-Adam-15 responding." I talk into the radio.

We arrive at the scene to find a utility pole down, live wires are broken in the street. There is a woman in the car that has crashed into it.

I press the button on my radio, "control, show us Code 6, 1350 Crescent Heights. We have a power line down. Alert DWP." I inform.

The woman staggers out of the car and stands next to it, looking dazed. I furrow my eyebrows, realising she's in shock. Nolan yells at her to stay in the car, but she doesn't even seem to register his voice.

"We have to do something." Nolan speaks, and suddenly the life wire snaps up and hits the woman; resulting in her falling down.

"I'm going." Nolan tells me, he runs into the scene and lifts the woman to to her feet; guiding her over near the shop. He then last her on the ground and checks her for breathing and a pulse.

"Control, send an RA to our location. We have an adult female, 30s, not conscious, not breathing, electric-shock victim." I radio in as Nolan begins chest compressions.

The woman wheezes and eventually starts breathing again. "Welcome back," I greet the woman.

Nolan explains to her what happened and instructs her not to move.

Soon the ambulance arrives and the woman is taken to the hospital, resulting in Nolan and I heading back to the station.

On our way back, the dispatch calls a '7-Adam-15, 459 in progress. Female is locked in bathroom. States the intruder is in her home.'

I pick up the radio as Nolan screeches the shop tyres to a break, "control, we are on scene. Please tell homeowner to remain in the bathroom." I ask.

Nolan and I head into the house, guns drawn as we check for intruders. We continue to clear the house. "Clear" is commonly heard across the silence of the home.

After confirming the home is clear, I knock on the bathroom door. "Police. Did a sweep of the house. There's no one here. It's safe to come out." I inform.

The bathroom door opens and Denise steps out. She's the woman Nolan saved earlier. Also the one that dropped flowers off for him.

Slightly creepy.

"It's against the law to call in a false 911 report." I point out, shaking my head.

"It wasn't false. I heard someone in the house." Denise defends.

I nod, not believing the woman one bit. "And you just happened to report it when we were the closest unit?" I ask, that was one hell of coincidence.

"What are you accusing me of?" Denise asks.

"I bet if I check your phone, I'll find a police scanner app. You waited until you heard we were in your neighborhood to place your 911 call. How am I doing?" I accuse, raising my eyebrows at the woman.

Nolan asks to speak to her alone, which I allow. I step outside, remaining vigilant about the surroundings. In the silence, I find myself wondering how Tim is going today. I know he was going to see Isabel. Apparently she was doing better.

After Nolan finished talking with the woman, he revealed to me on the way back to the station that she'd lost her husband. That Nolan believed she was using a fixation on him to conceal her pain.

When we got back, Nolan finished up his work and headed out for his anti valentines party. I was invited, but was unsure if I'd actually go.

I finished the rest of my paperwork and started to head out, walking down the hallway as I had just changed into some nice clothes forcing myself to go to Nolan's.

I see Bradford walking along. His body language seemed morose. I guess the talk with Isabel didn't go the way anyone expected.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were off today?" I ask him, my eyes laced with concern as I analyse him.

He looks partially caught off guard by my concern, "I was. I just, uh I needed to take my mind off of some Isabel stuff. So I figured a stack of paperwork would do the trick." He explains.

"Well, I was gonna head over to Nolan's. He's having, like, an anti-Valentine's Day thing. Um, maybe I'll see you there?" I ask, offering him a smile.

Bradford shakes his head, "no, I'm not feeling very social." He explains.

I look at him. I could tell he was far from okay. I didn't want to just leave him here with his paperwork. "Tim. Are you okay?" I ask.

He nods, "yeah. Maddy?" He asks, capturing my attention again.

"Yeah?" I reply softly.

He scratches the back of his neck, "the thought of going back to my empty house is unbearable, so if you'd be up for a drink - I could use a friend." He asks.

I appreciate that he's opening up a little about not being entirely okay. I can't turn him down, he needs me now more than ever. Whatever's happened with him and Isabel has clearly had a large impact on him.

I nod, "yeah let's do it." I smile at him.

He smiles slightly, turning around to walk out of the station with me. "Thank you Mads." He thanks.