fifteen •

Officer Nolan had been out getting dinner, to my understanding, when he was shot at.

Chen and I pulled up to the setting where Nolan was seen beside his truck, I parked with the other police cars before we exited the vehicle.

Nolan was surrounded by busy police officers so I decided to see if I could help with the scene, whilst Chen and West approached Nolan.

After getting an update on where the investigation was up to, I approached the three rookies. "So, they canvassed the area. No one saw the shooter." I informed them.

"He fired a couple hundred rounds." Nolan mentioned, scratching the back of his neck.

"No one will admit they saw him." I added, something was not adding up with the situation but I wasn't sure what it was quite yet.

Suddenly Bradford joins us in normal clothes, I offer him a small smile before I revert my attention back to Nolan. "So, who did you piss off?" I ask.

Bradford raised his eyebrows, "clearly someone with access to heavy weaponry." He adds to my question.

"I didn't recognise him." Nolan speaks softly.

Suddenly, Anderson and Grey both appear. We all look to them, expecting an update. Anderson inhales, clearly having some sort of bad news. "According to intelligence, you've been greenlit by Southern Front." She informs.

"Greenlit?" Nolan asks

"Means they put a hit on you." I inform him.

"How's a rookie get greenlit before us? We gotta step up our game." Bradford scoffs in the direction of me.

"It's not a badge of honor." Grey interiors.

I think for a moment before I speak, "violent white supremacist gang wants you dead, you're doing something right." I say in thought.

"I-I'm sorry, white supremacy gang and greenlit? W-Wh- What the hell is going on?" Nolan stutters, evidently in shock. Which was understandable, he's just been told he's got a hit on him.

"Normally, gangs don't target cops; more trouble than it's worth. Unless a cop disrespects a gang member, then all bets are off." Grey informs Nolan, crossing his arms against his chest as he does so.

"You arrested a woman today. Astrid Heisserer." Anderson tells Nolan.

"Her dress broke. I-I embarrassed her. I thought she was IA." Nolan speaks, stuttering in shock.

Anderson shakes her head, "she's not. She's the baby mama of the leader of Southern Front, one of the most violent criminal enterprises in the country." Anderson tells us.

"And because of how you treated her, he authorized everyone in the gang to kill you." Grey adds.

After the night concluded, we found ourselves in the port the next morning. I saw Anderson enter the port in uniform. I rubbed my eyes, wondering if I was overtired and hallucinating.

No I wasn't. She was in the port. In police uniform.

Anyways, I see Bradford and Murphy arguing about something so I walk over in hopes of breaking it up.

"That's not true." I hear Bradford argue.

"Oh, please. Any cop can tell an addict 10 miles out. You knew she was using, and you let her come to work every day with a loaded gun. You had an obligation to report her, and you didn't." Murphy scoffs, shaking his head at Bradford's actions.