S E V E N

Written 9th of October

Kelsey's POV

*~*

I grabbed my backpack and started to pack for the quest, a spare change of clothes, my favourite novel and my black denim jacket, i grabbed the photo of me and my mum from a few years ago off my bunk and stuffed it in my pocket; i opened my bottom drawer and saw my necklace i put it around my neck; zipped up my backpack, and I was about to walk out my cabin when Clarisse and two of my siblings where blocking the door.

I sighed "What do you want?"

"I want to know why you are going on a quest but not me" Clarisse asked 

I shrug "Ask Chiron" I walked past them but they pushed me back

"I'm not done, i want to know how on earth you are a child of Ares, tell you what. If you don't die on this quest, i wil-" but she never got to finish because i was already walking out the door, she glared at me.

*~*

The camp store loaned us one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas.  He gave Annabeth, Percy and me each a bottle of nectar and a bag full of ambrosia squares, to be used only in emergencies. It would cure us of almost any injury, but it was lethal to mortals. Too much of it would make a half-blood very, very feverish. An overdose would burn us up, literally.

Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap, which  had been a twelfth-birthday present from her mom. She carried a book on famous classical architecture, written in Ancient Greek, to read when she got bored, and a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve. 

Grover wore his fake feet and his pants to pass as human. He wore a green rasta-style cap, because when it rained his curly hair flattened and you could just see the tips of his horns. His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. In his pocket was a set of reed pipes his daddy goat had carved for him.

We waved good-bye to the other campers, took one last look at the strawberry fields, the ocean, and the Big House, then hiked up Half-Blood Hill to the tall pine tree that used to be Thalia, daughter of Zeus.

Chiron was waiting for us in his wheelchair. Next to him stood Argus, he was the camp's head of security. He had eyes all over his body so he could never be surprised. Today, though, he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform, so I could only see extra peepers on his hands, face and neck.

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

I stifled a laugh and all of Argus's eyes were glaring at me.

I heard footsteps behind us.

Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you."

Annabeth blushed, the way she always did when Luke was around. I knew of her crush on Luke and i'm surprised he hasn't even caught on yet.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told us. "And I thought ... um, maybe you could use these."

He handed Percy some sneakers.

Luke said, "Maia!"

White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, startling Percy so much that he dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days...." His expression turned sad.