Interlude 1: Strange Love

Disclaimer: The Dagger Squad, Penny and Mav are all a little off-color in this. It's abundantly obvious to Gorgeous Girl that while they'll work with Jake, they don't exactly like him. GG's going to stand up for her man, no matter what.

Warnings: Female!Reader

A/N: Here's Part 4 of Sometimes All You Need (A Getaway Car). GG and Jake have been kind of in their own little bubble so far, and they're sappy and cute and so in love with each other. But a vital part of relationships is getting to meet other people your S/O spends time with and considers their friends and family. This is that scene for Jake and GG. It takes place before their fancy dinner date in Ch. 3, and obviously things smooth out between GG and the rest of the Dagger Squad because she's friendly with Natasha in Ch 3.

It's been six weeks since you serendipitously met Jake during the worst first date in your life — six weeks since he'd swept you away on your first date together

It's been six weeks since you serendipitously met Jake during the worst first date in your life — six weeks since he'd swept you away on your first date together. Since then, you've been texting or talking to each other every day. And then, the Navy intervened. The Dagger Squadron had been appointed instructors for the next Top Gun class and had been busy planning their curriculum from early morning to late at night.

Since the planning had started, Jake was too busy and exhausted to call you. He still texted you, but sporadically, snatching moments between hops to send you sweet words and sweaty pictures with his green eyes and a wide grin on display. You couldn't even pretend to be mad about it. As much as you missed Jake, you knew his career's importance to him. You knew how hard he'd worked to become a part of the top one percent of pilots.

But you did miss him and after only a few dates. Was it normal to miss somebody like they were an extension of yourself this soon? You'd only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as Jake Seresin was concerned. While there was a lot you'd like to know about Jake, you couldn't deny that San Diego felt incredibly dim, dull, and dreary without hearing from Jake. He'd managed to entrench himself in your life completely. When you walk into your favorite coffee shop? The baristas asked where he was. When you go to your favorite Korean restaurant? The ahjumma who owns it tells you to give "your handsome young man" her love in sweetly accented English.

All you can conclude on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon before you shake the thoughts out of your head, throw on a swimsuit and coverup, and head to the Hard Deck is that it has to be the Jake Seresin effect. Jake and Callie both fondly mention the dive bar and its proprietress, Penny, begging you to join them. If the bar is closed, you can at least go to the beach outside the bar and do some reading and suntanning. If the bar is open, you can get a drink and read sitting at one of the tables in the air-conditioning.

When you pull into the parking lot, the bar is deserted, but there are cars in the parking lot. The sounds of laughter and music drift on the salty breeze from the beach. So, after parking and collecting your bag, you gingerly pick your way around the side of the building. Your sunglasses are primly perched on your nose as you take in the full glory of the ocean, the afternoon sun glinting mesmerizingly off of the gorgeous blue waves. Seagulls wheel and squawk in the air, drifting lazily through clear skies, beady-eyed, and waiting for morsels to drop out of unsuspecting hands.