Chapter 5: Reality

Kion was frozen in horror as Fern shooed him out of the den. Nala was gone. He didn't know whether to be sad, or horrified. He was in too much shock to really feel anything.

"Get your ass moving!" Fern shouted as she pushed him. "God you're heavy!"

Kion was oblivious to her words though, as his mind was trying to process exactly what had happened.

All he could do was look up. He saw Simba and Kovu getting into fighting stances.

No....

Kion stared in disbelief. His dad was fighting now, too. He had a chance of losing someone else.

Fern shoved him into a den with a bunch of other lions. They all watched as the fight was about to go down.

He felt a familiar presence. He saw Rani standing next to him. He wanted to be happy, but the loss of his mother was weighing him down.

"Don't cry you bastard," Rani snarled as she watched the colosseum.

"I-I won't..." Kion lied as he blinked back tears and his voice choked.

"Pfft," Rani rolled her eyes.

He couldn't believe it. How could someone be so heartless and cruel?

"You'll get used to it," Rani said. "Losing family, I mean."

Kion stared at her, confused, "What are you talking about?"

"The colosseum is meant for murder and entertainment for the sick lions who run this place."

Kion was confused at what she was getting at.

Rani glared at him, "You're trying to fish the story outta me!"

"What! No I-"

"Shut it! I know you are!" Rani shouted. She sighed, "I lost my parents. They both went up against Ezio. But he was too strong. I had to watch as he blew them to bits. That was when Kaleo decided to restrain him. He didn't want to risk Ezio getting loose."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't-"

"I don't want your pity!" Rani glared at him, then looked down at her paws. "I lost my brother too. But not to Ezio. In fact, he never died in the colosseum. He died before we were even forced to be here."

"How did he die?" Kion asked.

"I don't know his name, but a lion with a terrible ability just came into our den. I couldn't see exactly what happened, but I heard my brother roaring in pain. All I know is a lion came and murdered my little brother."

"I see what you mean now. I'm sorry for your loss." He looked in her direction, but was shocked to see tears falling down her muzzle. Rani noticed.

"Agh! Fuck you! Look at what you did! I haven't cried in years but thanks to you forcing me to tell this fucking sappy ass story, I'm crying!"

"I didn't force you to tell the story," Kion replied.

"Yes you did you bastard!" Rani stormed off.

Kion cocked his head and watched her. She was confusing. Her weird personality made him completely forget about his mother, untill it came crashing on him like a wave.

Instant sorrow overwhelmed him. Kion sighed and hunched his shoulders. He walked to the front of the den. He didn't want to watch his dad fight, but he had to. His body was telling him to.

***

Simba and Kovu touched noses before backing away. They waited anxiously for Kaleo to give the go.

Kaleo eyed both of them for a minute, then roared, "Fight!"

Simba stayed where he was while Kovu quickly attacked him, claws unsheathed.

Simba reared up and slammed Kovu into the ground, holding his paws firmly onto Kovu's shoulders.

"He doesn't laugh easy." Simba thought to himself. "I'll have to come up with a good joke to keep him in my control."

"Too slow, old man!" Kovu grinned and kicked Simba off him, quickly getting to his paws. Simba attacked but Kovu swiftly dodged him and landed a deep gash on Simba's flank.

Simba roared in agony and collapsed to the ground. Kovu began to advance on him, but Simba spoke.

"W-What do you call a lion in the North Pole?"

Kovu froze and looked confused, "What?"

Simba groaned, but smiled, "Lost."

Kovu blinked at him with no expression.

"Dammit. I'll need to try harder," Simba stood up slowly.

"Nice try, but you'll have to try harder than that!" Kovu roared and launched himself at Simba.

Simba quickly moved the the side and jumped on Kovu's back, pinning him down.

"Did you hear about the humble cannibalistic lion?"

Kovu rolled his eye's, "No."

Simba smiled, "He swallowed his pride!"

Kovu barely chuckled and threw Simba off him, "Nice one. But it ain't gonna work on me!" Kovu snarled and sliced Simba's muzzle with his claws.

Simba winced in pain and grabbed Kovu by the throat. He was about to make a very disrespectful joke, but he was sure this would get Kovu to laugh.

"How did Mufasa die?"

Kovu wasn't able to answer because of Simba holding his throat.

Simba grinned and looked Kovu directly in the eye, "Scar damage."

Simba let Kovu go. Kovu stared at him for a minute, before falling to the ground with laughter. Simba locked his eyes on Kovu and snarled.

Kovu suddenly lost control of his body. He stood up without meaning to. He walked closer to Simba without meaning to.

Once he knew it was over, he heard a voice.

"I won't let you lose. You can't ruin my name like Nuka and Vitani have!"

Kovu's eyes widened. Scar.

"Break free! You aren't losing to my nefew!"

Kovu roared and broke free from Simba's control. Simba's eyes widened in shock.

Kovu snarled and dug his claws deep into Simba's face.

Simba roared in agony as his fur and skin were ripped off his body. Kovu smirked and started peeling Simba's skin, watching as he slowly peeled his chest, flank, stomach, and legs.

When Kovu was finally done peeling off Simba's skin, Simba collapsed onto the ground and blood soaked the ground around him.

The crowd cheered. Graphic gore was exactly what they wanted. And Kovu gave it to them.

***

Kion felt his legs buckle and he collapsed to the ground in shock. His brother in law had killed his father.

"No. Nonononononono. This isn't happening. I'm just dreaming. It's all a nightmare. I'm going to wake up and I'll be fine." Kion bit his arm and roared in pain. He still didn't wake up.

Reality came crashing down on him. His parents were gone.