244 | Real Devil

"MONEY," UCHDRYD ANSWERS, CATCHING Max off guard. It was only a single word, and as an heir, it shouldn't even be much of a shocking revelation for him. But for some reason, as Uchdryd revealed it to him, Max finally understood something that had been bothering him from the moment he arrived here.

     "Money?" Max repeated, almost like it was a cursed word.

     "Whatever happens in the castle stays in the castle. That's the Elites' council motto, right? Well, the Saints have a different ideology. Here, at  St. George Academy, your title holds huge merit. You don't flaunt it openly, per se, but for the Ministry, it's everything. The bigger the donation, the better the protection. This is a church, after all," Uchdryd says with a chuckle, showing that even he finds it ridiculous.

     "So donating gives you points?"

     "We call it offerings here," Uchdryd corrects. "On Sunday, after the holy mass, the student and their offerings are announced. And the division that gets the highest donation will be given insane points. That's why the rich gaffers live in a pretty dorm while the serfs endure the scraps. It's Marxism at its finest."

    Max couldn't believe what he was hearing. This was never a thing in J.S High. Sure, they had auctions, but that alone was illegal and looked down upon. But offerings? The more Max learns about St. George Academy, the more he wants to leave.

     "Gaffers here are rich rich, so in this school, it's pretty unfair. Because if you're not aware yet, there are three types of heirs. There's the—"

    "Business heirs, political heirs, and professional heirs. I know. A friend of mine told me about it once," Max finishes for the lord, making Uchdryd smile impressively.

     "That's right. Gaffers all fall in the Business heirs category. Apart from their skills, their family backs them up. You don't know how much these families are willing to donate just to put them on top," Uchdryd explains further. "I heard the highest bidder last year donated five million euros. It's insane."

     Uchdryd expected Max to look disappointed or at least disgusted by all this, but when he saw the face that Max was making, the smile he had instantly vanished, and a cold chill crawled down his spine.

     For a second, Uchdryd thought he saw a devil.

     "So the biggest donation gets points," Max says while trying to suppress a grin.

     "Hey now, are you planning to do what I think you're planning to do?" Uchdryd asks, now with a nervous smile on his face as he turns to look back at Max. "If you're going to help the serf by out-bidding the other offerings, then that's not a very good idea. Doing such would make a temporary solution, and we don't want that."

     "Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything careless," Max reassures the leader. "But the information you gave me does help a lot. I'm glad Justice arranged this meeting for us."

      Uchdryd chuckles, and then he walks towards Max again to look straight at him. "When it comes to information, I'm a master of it. I think our multiple meetings have been proof of that," he confidently tells him.

     "It has indeed. Now I'm worried that you might start collecting my debts," Max says in a serious tone, making Uchdryd tilt his head lower without breaking eye contact with the heir. It helps that he's a few inches taller than Max.

     "We'll discuss that some other time, but for now, you may leave. As the brotherhood representative in the House of Bishops, I have an important meeting to attend at J.S High. It seems like your king is proposing something interesting," Uchdryd suddenly reveals before walking towards the door so he can leave first.