The trainer arrives

Dr. Jamison pov

I was sitting in my office, overseeing the research. I was just so fascinated by how the subjects seem to be resisting the emotion dampeners so far. By now, the emotion dampeners that we injected in the subjects during the "process" should have kicked in, but they haven't yet for some reason. Interesting, is it because a large amount of aura is slowing down the emotion dampeners' effect on the brain? I was thinking, and theorizing about how large amounts of auras can be slowed down by other foreign substances in people's bodies. Maybe I can apply whatever I find and further modify this current generation of Astarte.

Thud thud thud

Marcus: Wait, Andreas, SIR, PLEASE stop walking like you're scaring EVERYONE HERE!

So "he" finally found out that we produced a stronger successful batch by using more serum, huh? Why does he sound like he's angrily walking towards where I am? Did I do something wrong with the "process?" He is probably just mad that he had to use his time and his specialties hunting the white fang again, which "he" considers a "waste of time."

My door was quietly opened, "he finally walked into my office.

He leaned his massive body sideways and had to hunch himself down to fit through the doorway. Once he got himself through the doorway, he stood in front of me. A knightly giant figure that is aged by time. An old relic from the Great War. I can hear his mouth shuffling underneath his helmet and making a coarse voice plagued by age.

Andreas: 𝕬𝖗𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖞 𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖉𝖞 𝖙𝖔 𝖇𝖊 𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖔 𝖇𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖘, "𝖉𝖔𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗 𝕵𝖆𝖒𝖎𝖘𝖔𝖓?"

Yes, Andreas, they are prepared to be trained by you. We put in more of the "serums" than we did in the previous generations.

Andreas: 𝕳𝖔𝖜 𝖒𝖆𝖓𝖞 𝖉𝖎𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊, "𝖉𝖔𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗?"

742 have died, and only 8 have successfully gotten through the process and are ready to be trained to become Astartes.

Andreas sighed with a mix of grief and disappointment.

Did I do something wrong with the process, Andreas? Did too many die "this" time, or what did I do wrong?

Andreas: 𝕹𝖔 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖉𝖔𝖓𝖊 𝖆𝖓𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖜𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖌. 𝕾𝖔𝖗𝖗𝖞 𝖇𝖚𝖙 𝕴 𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖜𝖎𝖘𝖍𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖜𝖊 𝖉𝖎𝖉 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖒𝖆𝖐𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖜𝖆𝖞. 𝖄𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖘 𝖇𝖊𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚, 𝖐𝖓𝖔𝖜 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕴 𝖆𝖑𝖜𝖆𝖞𝖘 𝖐𝖓𝖔𝖜 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕴 𝖉𝖊𝖕𝖎𝖘𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝖒𝖆𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖘. 𝕳𝖔𝖜𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖜𝖊 𝖒𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖘𝖆𝖈𝖗𝖎𝖋𝖎𝖈𝖊 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖌𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖌𝖔𝖔𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖗𝖊𝖒𝖆𝖓𝖆𝖓𝖙. 𝕿𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖙𝖘 𝖔𝖓 𝖗𝖊𝖒𝖆𝖓𝖆𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖇𝖊𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖊.

Of course, it is not why, unlike the other "facilities" we push our version of Astartes to the point of pure exhaustion or death. Is that not mainly why we force every generation of "our" astartes to push their limits to deal with the threats that the rest of the remnant are too complacent to see or not even ready to fight?

Andreas: 𝕿𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖎𝖘 𝖙𝖔𝖔 𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖊 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖊𝖗𝖆, 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖘𝖔 𝖋𝖔𝖈𝖚𝖘𝖊𝖉 𝖔𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖌𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖒 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖊𝖆𝖈𝖍 𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖞 𝖉𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖑𝖎𝖟𝖊𝖉 𝖆𝖇𝖔𝖚𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊 𝖘𝖈𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖔𝖜𝖓𝖋𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖔𝖋 𝖈𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖟𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖎𝖙𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖋.

There was a brief silence between us, a quick, quiet reflection that no one can understand what it is like to sacrifice for the "greater good" while trying to be unseen. I broke the silence by telling Andreas about sharing the files on the new upcoming Astartes. 

Andreas: 𝕸𝖆𝖞 𝕴 𝖆𝖘𝖐 𝖜𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖘𝖊 "𝖋𝖎𝖑𝖊𝖘" 𝖆𝖗𝖊?

These files are on the subjects that you are training to become Astartes-

Andreas quickly put his hand on my desk as a sign for me to be quiet. 

Andreas: 𝕴 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖙𝖔𝖑𝖉 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 "𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖉𝖊𝖈𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖔𝖗𝖘" 𝖙𝖔 𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖕 𝖗𝖊𝖋𝖊𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕴 𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖔 𝖇𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖘 𝖆𝖘 "𝖘𝖚𝖇𝖏𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖘." 𝕴 𝖚𝖓𝖉𝖊𝖗𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖆 𝖘𝖈𝖎𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙 𝖙𝖗𝖞𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔 𝖉𝖔 𝖆 𝖊𝖝𝖕𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖙𝖔 𝖋𝖎𝖌𝖚𝖗𝖊 𝖔𝖚𝖙 𝖍𝖔𝖜 𝖙𝖔 𝖒𝖆𝖘𝖘 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖉𝖚𝖈𝖊 𝕬𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖘 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝕬𝖑𝖙𝖆𝖘 𝖒𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖞. 𝕳𝖔𝖜𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖎𝖘 𝖉𝖊𝖍𝖚𝖒𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖟𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕴 𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖉. 𝕴 𝖆𝖉𝖛𝖎𝖘𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝕽𝕰𝕱𝕽𝕬𝕴𝕹 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖚𝖓𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖜𝖆𝖓𝖙 𝖙𝖔 𝖉𝖎𝖊 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖆 𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖊 𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖘 𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖑𝖆𝖘𝖙 3 "𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖉𝖊𝖈𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖔𝖗𝖘."

Yes forgive me for that mistake, I am fully aware of that. That is why, unlike the last 3 predecessors before me. I have allowed this new generation to interact with each other and give them other "privileges" or incentives for this generation. I am giving a new life to the ones that they lost and treating them like actual people. Not a weapon like the other predecessors before me.

Andreas: 𝕴𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌,  𝖘𝖍𝖔𝖜 𝖒𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖘𝖊 "𝖋𝖎𝖑𝖊𝖘."

Very well, Andreas. Let me pull these paper files out of my drawer and the other information on my scroll.