2. Trunk Accident

"This is Elena? Oh my God, Beam, she's beautiful and sexy," said Phana. "And she looks smart too." 

"Oh come on, Pha, you know that girls like that will actually make your life difficult," said Beam in a cold tone.  "Beautiful, sexy and intelligent, that's a combination of terrible things in a girl!" 

Kit slapped Beam's shoulder lightly.  Since he was a teenager, Beam has been a true Casanova, never serious about anything related to women and love.  Both were things he never took seriously. 

"So how?" Kit asked while draining the drink in his glass. "Your mother asked you to get to know her first, right?" 

Beam let out a long groan and put his forehead on the table, refusing to speak. Phana patted Beam's shoulder lightly. 

"Beam, I think this engagement issue won't be that easy. Your mother and Elena's parents could just try to get you closer first, see how the chemistry between you develops, in the hope that it will be something good, then talk about the engagement," said Phana. 

"Pha's right, Beam. Besides, Elena is just moving in and starting her third semester here, she definitely needs time to adjust here. You'll also be facing residency and your mother knows how busy your college life is. Good parents wouldn't risk ruining their kids'school year," added Kit, reassuring Beam. 

"Ooh... this annoys me to death," sighed Beam. "I planned a relaxing holiday. Sleep all day, wake up in the afternoon, go to the bar until midnight, one or two one-night stands until dawn, go home, repeat, until the holiday is over." 

Pha patted Beam's head lightly in annoyance. "Stop with your one night stands after getting drunk, Beam, one day you could forget to wear protection and suddenly a girl comes with a big belly and demands you be responsible." 

Beam chuckled. "That's why I never drink until I get drunk like you, Pha. I have to still have the energy and awareness to satisfy those girls in bed, while remaining alert." 

"Crazy Casanova," Kit muttered. "One day, you will hit the rocks, Beam, fall completely in love with someone unexpected and you will surrender completely to that person." 

Beam chuckled. His two bestfriends always said the same thing when they touched on his love life. Their words like that were always repeated like a curse and Beam always laughed in response. 

However, since he was a teenager, after he moved to his grandmother's house because his mother had to travel for work, Beam had decided not to be serious about love. 

He will just enjoy his youth freely, become a doctor, and spend his old age alone, because Beam has decided not to marry. 

"Tell you what, Beam, how about you just accept your mother's request? Kit and I will come with you. You will meet Elena and make an agreement with her about the engagement plan," said Phana after thinking for a while. 

"What deal?" Beam asked. 

"Anything that can make you postpone the engagement plans as long as possible," answered Phana. 

"You can persuade Elena. Or we can devise a strategy to deal with her later after meeting her and seeing what kind of girl she is," added Kit, supporting Phana's words. 

Beam sighed and nodded. At least he didn't have to face the strange situation alone with that girl named Elena.

Two weeks passed quickly and suddenly the semester break had started.

Beam looked at the plane ticket in his hand in dismay. He only got the ticket yesterday morning, sent by his mother's assistant who had come to ensure that Beam received the ticket and left for Malibu. 

She even sent three tickets, including those for Phana and Kit and a thick envelope filled with dollars cash. 

The departure schedule is tomorrow afternoon and until now Beam has not prepared anything at all. 

"Pha, I'm going to the mall. There are some things I need to buy. Swimming trunks, shorts, and sun cream. Kit can't join because his mother is coming." 

"I'll join you. Let's meet in front of the Daebak Chilly restaurant, okay?"  answered Phana. "I also need to buy new swimming trunks." 

Beam drove to the Metropolitan mall casually. The afternoon air was quite pleasant, neither hot nor cold. Beam opened the car window and enjoyed the gentle breeze on his face. 

Phana was already there, five minutes ahead of Beam, waiting in front of their favorite Korean restaurant, when Beam arrived. They went straight to the most complete men's needs shop in the mall. 

"This is good," said Beam, holding up a pair of black swimming trunks with bright blue and green stripes on the right and left sides and a small sun-shaped logo on the bottom front. 

"It's just black with a small sun and two stripes, Beam," said Phana while showing a pair of tribal-patterned swimming trunks. 

"Are you going to take those swim trunks, Phi?" asked someone behind Beam politely. 

Beam and Phana suddenly turned around. A boy with a handsome face, white skin, chubby cheeks, round eyes, a sharp nose and full, red, wet lips, smiled and pointed at the swimming trunks in Beam's hand.

Phana dropped the swimming trunks he was holding without realizing and his eyes were fixed unblinkingly on the boy in front of him. 

"Oh, you also want to buy these swimming trunks, Nong?" Beam asked with a mischievous smile. 

"Yes, Phi, those trunk are nice. But, if you're going to buy them, I'll just look for something else," answered the boy. 

"Ah, no, no, Beam will just look for something else," said Phana suddenly, taking the swimming trunks in Beam's hands and giving them to the boy.  "Take it, you're more suited to wearing it, nong." 

Beam slapped Phana's back lightly.  "Hey, Pha, how do you know whether he's suited to wear it or not?" 

Phana was stunned and her face flushed. He looked at the boy in front of him, who was holding swimming trunks and smiling. 

"Well, just imagining, uh, I mean, aah... just take those pants," said Phana nervously. 

"But these trunk are a big size, XL," said Beam, looking at the boy in front of him. "Your body size is not that different from me, so I guess you wear size M or L?" 

"No, phi, this is the size I'm looking for," answered the boy quickly. 

"Okay," said Beam in surprise. 

Phana stole a glance at the boy's midsection and swallowed hard. 

"Okay, thank you, Phi, I have to go and pay for these pants," said the boy while glancing at Phana. He nodded and turned around, but Beam held his hand. 

"Eh, nong, what's your name? Who knows, maybe we might meet on the street, at least we can greet each other." 

"My name is Wayo, phi," answered the boy.

"Nong Wayo," said Beam cheerfully. "My name is Beam and this giraffe's name is Phana."

Wayo nodded politely. "I'll go, Phi Beam, Phi P-Phana."

Beam stared at Wayo's back away, then turned to Phana. "Pha! Wipe that drool off of yours and help me ask the sales lady if there is an L size for swimming trunks like the cute nong brought!". 

Phana turned to Beam with dreamy eyes. "Beam... he's so... beautiful and... big?" 

Beam hit Phana's back harder.  "Perverts!"

"Hei, he wear an XL trunk? Come on!"

***