Chapter 16- The Taste of a Lost Love

ALMOST UP TO THE ACTION

JUST GONNA SLIP IN A COUPLE OF SCENES FIRST

MAYBE EVEN A (SORT OF) NICE LITTLE STOEY MOMENT

ENJOY

~ ~ ~

Steve's POV

"Are we ready to go?" Fury asks me after he finishes debriefing us.

"Let's suit up." I nod to the others, who leave the room.

"I'll go inform the Redbird." Hill says, but I stop her.

"No, I'll go." I tell her.

"Are you sure?" She asks hesitantly.

"Yes." I assure her, turning and leaving the room.

I walk through the secret facility, the whole place dripping with water from the stream and smelling of damp.

I enter an area with half a dozen doors, which I presume hold tiny rooms.

I go to the only door that is closed and knock.

"Come in." Zoey's voice comes from the other side. Her voice is flat.

I open the door and see her standing with her back to me, looking at her new suit in the mirror.

It's similar to the old one; it's a deep cherry colour, with black wings sewn into the back.

"You look good." I tell her. She looks up at me standing in the doorway.

"Thanks." She says cautiously, looking back at the mirror.

"How is it different to your old suit?" I ask.

"It's lighter." She says, "The material will make me go faster, and it's stronger, much harder to slice through if somebody sends a blade my way. I think they made it after what happened with Stu."

"In Manhattan?" I ask, and she nods silently.

"Hill wants me to debrief you on the plan." I say awkwardly.

She nods, gesturing for me to come in as she begins to tie up her hair. I move into the room, standing against the wall as I watch her.

"You, Sam, Maria and I are going to infiltrate the Triskellion while Natasha's upstairs with Pierce and the Council." I begin.

"Okay." She nods dismissively, bobby pins in her mouth. "When do I get to see Pierce?"

"You can't kill him, Zoey." I tell her, "We need him alive to open the Insight files for Hill."

"That's fine." She shrugs, "I need to keep him alive anyway. I want answers."

"What answers?" I ask her curiously, concerned about her.

"Don't worry about it." She sighs, dropping her hands now that she's done with her hair. It's tied back in a high ponytail, her fringe flopping down over her forehead.

"Zoey." I push myself off the wall, "Do you remember that day Thor took Loki back to Asgard?" 

She nods, glancing at me momentarily in the mirror.

"Well, that day, our birthday, was one of the best days of my life." I tell her, "We walked in the park, we had dinner in downtown Manhattan, and then I took you for a ride in the evening."

Zoey doesn't reply, but a nostalgic glaze has overcome her eyes, a small smile on her face.

"And then the next week when we all met up at Stark's for celebrations, and we ditched the massive party to go out onto the balcony." I say slowly, "When you kissed me out in that evening air, I've never felt more alive and loved than ever. I didn't feel alone since I'd come out of the ice. You were my new life, my new family."