Chapter 18- The Time for Answers is Now

~ ~ ~

Third person POV

Pierce stands in his office in the Triskellion, ignoring the other council members as he watches Natasha Romanoff hacking into SHIELD's computers.

"Disabling the encryption is an executive order, it takes two Alpha Level members." He says triumphantly, his panic relieving slightly.

Natasha looks up at him, slight amusement etched upon her face.

"Don't worry, company's coming." She tells him.

The unmistakeable chopping noise of a helicopter sounds above them, and Pierce looks out the window to see one land on the helipad.

He watches as the door opens, revealing a man he thought he'd gotten rid of.

Nick Fury scowls as he enters the building, glaring at his former colleague and friend.

"Did you get my flowers?" Pierce asks, trying to mask his surprise with wit. "I'm glad you're here, Nick."

"Really?" Fury asks, "Cause I thought you had me killed."

"You know how the game works." Pierce shrugs.

"So why make me head of SHIELD?"

"Because you're the best and the most ruthless person I ever met." He tells him straight.

"I did what I did to protect people." Fury protests.

"Like who?" Peirce laughs.

"Like me."

They all turn around to see a figure standing in the doorway. Zoey Redbird is breathing heavily, her mouth contorted into a snarl as she stares at the man who ruined her life.

"Ah, Miss Redbird." Pierce grins, "How lovely to finally meet you."

"You seem to forget our last encounter, Mr. Pierce." Zoey bites back, "Or, should I still be calling you Archer?"

Pierce looks enraged by her statement, but Fury stands between them.

"We need him to perform the retinal scan first, Redbird." He tells her.

"Just, hurry up." Zoey crosses her arms, moving into the room.

She stands amongst the fallen HYDRA agents, watching as Pierce continues to make his case to Fury.

"Our enemies are your enemies, Nick." Pierce tells him, "Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago."

"Diplomacy? Holding action, a band-aid. And you know where I learned that; Bogota. You didn't ask, you just did what had to be done. I can bring order to the lives of seven billion people by sacrificing twenty million." Pierce takes a step towards him, "It's the next step, Nick, if you have the courage to take it. "

"No, I have the courage not to." Fury takes Pierce to the retinal scanner, Natasha pointing her gun at him.

"Retinal scanner active." The computer says.

"You don't you think we wiped your clearance from the system?" Pierce asks, fighting the urge to laugh.

"I know you erased my password, probably deleted my retinal scan, but if you want to stay ahead of the game, Mr. Secretary." Fury shakes his head, reaching up to remove his eyepatch, revealing his scarred, blind eye.

"You need to keep both eyes open."

~ ~ ~

Zoey's POV