11| Adrenaline Rush

It wasn't long before Gemma and Jaime were on the move again driving to one of Jenny's apartments in the city

Gemma had lost her phone at some point when Jaime had picked her up in the middle of the street, luckily Jenny had given him her number two days ago. When she had called her there wasn't much time to explain, Jenny didn't even question why Gemma was with Jaime. Jenny had been to busy telling them to hurry up.

"You really think Jenny has the answers?" Jaime questioned skeptically.

"If there is an answer she'll be the only one who has it." Gemma replied confident the Jenny had to have the answer, or at least that it would be somewhere in her father's files.

"But you know stuff about this thing too?"

Gemma wished that she had asked Jenny more about the Scarab, but all the she had cared about in the moment was finding a way to stop Victoria Kord. "I only know what little Jenny told me about it."

"Like?"

Gemma looked over at Jaime and although his eyes were focused on the road ahead she could see that he was scared. "Like the fact that it chooses its host. It's like a parasite looking to form a symbiotic relationship with you."

He was silent for a moment, like she didn't know what he wanted to say. Or maybe he did know, but was too afraid to ask. "And you don't think it'll be easy to remove?"

Although she wished that she could tell him that she believed it was going to be easy she couldn't. Gemma couldn't lie to him, it just felt cruel. And as a scientist and doctor she knew what the truth was. She didn't have all the information, but she could hypothesize. And she knew that removing the Scarab would not be easy.

"It chose you Jaime. I don't think it's going to let you go that easily." Gemma replied knowing that the Scarab had probably spent years without a host. Now it had Jaime, it was naive of them to even think that the solution to their problem was going to be easy.