21

I am back!!!

With another one for my loviessss <3

Hope you enjoy and please remember to always vote and comment!!!

*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*

Life as a black person, a black woman in Mayville was not easy, I tell you.

It was predictable but also really dangerous.

We knew our places in the white dominated community and also in the minority community. We were supposed to grow up with our heads down, with our Bibles in hand and with the hopes of finding a good man to continue taking care of us after we leave our parents.

After that, we were supposed to bear babies for our husbands. The ones who worked as maids and nannies would work whilst having their own children to take care of too.

And that's how life was supposed to go. No other way because we'd get shot dead. Not that it wasn't happening either way.

The point is, I knew my place, I've always known it my whole life.

Yet here I was, going against everything that I was taught my whole life. Entertaining dangerous hopes and thoughts and endangering not just myself, but my family as well.

On Tuesday morning, I woke up with a splitting headache and with a sick feeling settled deep in my stomach but I didn't think about calling in sick.

I was intending to go to work like any other normal day because I preferred to distract myself from the shock I had last night with work than to sit in my house and wallow in my sorrow.

I walked down the street towards the Anderson family house with my purse tucked underneath one of my folded arms, my freezing fingers clasped tightly around the thing handles.

Thinking back to last night, my heart sank in my chest and I felt that all too familiar wave of nausea hit me. In as much as I kept reminding myself that I did not have to keep thinking about my employer's pregnancy, I couldn't help it.

Especially since all I could dream about during the night was her giving birth to yet another baby so she could neglect it and deprive it of love and affection.

Another poor white baby for me to raise and love on behalf of her incompetence.

Breathing through my mouth, I watched as my breath formed and small cloud in front of my face just as I reached the gate. Relief flooded through me as I noticed that Mr Anderson' scar was not parked in the driveway, which meant that he had already left for work.

It was unusual because it was still quite early but I didn't think too much about it. He probably just wanted to work earlier today.

Or maybe he wanted to avoid opening the gate for me and having to speak to me....

Shaking my head to rid it of thoughts about that man, I closed the gate when I had gotten in before I quietly shuffled my way up to the front door.

The house was quiet and calm so I figured that the rest of the Anderson family was still fast asleep.

I took off my coat and gloves before I began to get ready to start with my work.

By eight am, I had finished cleaning the dining room and dusting the furniture and ornaments in the living room as well as making breakfast.

The children were up, bathed and having their breakfast at the kitchen table by nine, which was around the time Miss Evelyn canes downstairs.

Her lovely hair was up in rollers and she had on a silk lilac morning gown on.