05

And the drama resumes......

Enjoyyy

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

My whole life, I've never known a nice white person. They wanted nothing to do with us, let alone even interact with us.

You could be a black person and just be walking down the street, and white women would sheild their children from seeing you.

They were convinced that our existence was wrong, disgusting even. Especially when we lived in the same town or country with them.

No white person wanted to be nice to us. They had the capacity and they could easily decide to be, but they just didn't want to.

So my confusion and shock was justified as I stood in the cold night air. Blankly staring at this white man, who also happened to be my boss as well.

"Don't just stand there, get in", he said, his voice loud and deep.

With a shaky voice, I slowly shook my head at him, but still kept looking at him.

"Sir, uh", I swallowed slowly "I don't think that I should", I told him.

I watched in fear as a frown took over his features and he stared me in annoyance.

"Get in the car, Miss Tara. Its late, you can't walk alone", he told me in a quiet, yet disturbingly firm tone.

My heart was beating rapidly against my chest and I was afraid that I'd probably faint because I don't think I was even breathing.

Letting out a short forced breath that sounded like I was going to throw up.

"No, sir. I'll be fine, my house is near", I lied while blinking slowly.

The honest truth was that I was beyond terrified. Not because I was instructed to never interact with this man, but because he was just that.

A white man.

Yes, my house was far from where I was but I was not willing to risk my life by getting into the car.

"Don't be a fool", he scolded me and I watched in horror as the frown on his face deepened, showing how I was angering me, which only terrified me more.

"Miss Tara," he began "Get in the car and stop wasting both of our time", he ordered me and that was my breaking point.

I was back here again. Stuck between a rock a hard place. If I refused to get in the car, I could get into trouble, however, if I did get in, I would be in more trouble.

But on the other side, it was past curfew and if I was caught outside by a police officer, it would end well for me.

Pulling the door open with a shaky gloved hand, I slowly got into the passenger seat and huddled as far as I could from him.

Whether he noticed my fear or not, he didn't indicate and I was too focused on my speeding heart to pay attention to him.

After murmuring a low thank you, he drove off and the deafening silence in the car was unbearable.

Even to him because he kept clearing his throat awkwardly, which made me flinch everytime.

By the time we got round to the Compound, I could feel the cold sweat that had broken out on my forehead sliding down my hairline.

"Thank you, sir", I immediately squeaked out as I moved to open the door so I could get out.

"Wait", he stopped me by putting up his hand.