Confessions

Akash reached the altar to find his sister eyes closed, head bent. She looked beautiful. Swallowing a lump in his throat, he closed his eyes and prayed fervently for his sister to find true love and companionship.

He opened his eyes to see his Di looking at him with interest.

"What were you praying so ardently for Akash? Does it have to do with a pretty girl who just left the temple?" She laughed as she teased him.

"No Di." Akash answered truthfully even as he felt his cheeks grow warm. Anjali watched her brother with interest.

"Shall we go?" Akash asked, ready to head out.

"Wait. Can we sit down for a few minutes? It's Saturday. You have time for me right?" Anjali asked knowing Akash would sit with her and give her company.

They made their way towards the stairs that had come to mark many milestones in their life.

"Akash, I want to talk to you about Payal ji. I can see she affects you. Don't think I don't know about your occasional excursions to Laxmi Nagar garage." She paused to see the effect on Akash's face and continued.

"Have you spoken to Payal ji about your feelings for her? You need to tell her Akash."

Akash weighed what his Di said and looking at her with new respect said "Di. I love her. I know I would like to marry her. I have not asked her yet but I think she likes me too. I keep thinking I should talk to her sometime but my tongue is tied when I am in her presence."

Pausing a few seconds, Akash continued "I also worry about mom. She is class conscious. I know she will not accept Payal ji. I am ready to fight for Payal if she will accept me."

Anjali looked at her besotted brother. She lay a hand on his arm. "Akash, you know I support you right? Nani will be thrilled. Chottey will handle your mom. He understands her the best I think. I also think Payal will make a lovely wife for you. Get your act together and find out what she feels before some one else claims her as his."

With that, brother and sister left for home, their secret safe with them.

Khushi watched her sister put away her purchases and walk into their room as if her thoughts were far, far away.

"Interesting!" she thought. She followed Payal into the room and tapped her on her shoulders. Her sister came to her senses with a startle and tapped her smartly.

"What are you doing scaring me like that?"

Before Payal could say anything more. Khushi dragged her to the cot and sat her down. "Out with it missy! You eyes are faraway, you smile to yourself and you have been stocking the kitchen grocery in the hall closet."

"Now out with it. Who is occupying your thoughts? Would they have to do with someone tall, lanky and with glasses?"

Khushi laughed as color crept along her jiji's cheeks.

"You think I don't know Akash ji keeps haunting Happy ji's garage is it? Do you guys even speak to each or is it all just eye-speak?"

Payal pushed her sister and got up.

"I think he likes me Khushi. I like him too. But it won't work. They are the Raizadas for heaven's sake. And from your descriptions of Manorama mami ji, I am sure she will look at me like I am vermin or something. It has taken me a year to get over Abishek. I don't want to get my heart-broken again. So before you start teasing me again. This is the last time I want to hear of it."

Khushi looked at her mild sister again, her eyes goggling. Jiji was in love. Akash ji would make a lovely jijaji.

Sighing happily, she ran after her sister. "Jiji wait!"