Trouble in paradise

Arnav stared at the laptop screen. The report he had been looking at since morning refused to make sense. He was distracted. He kept looking at the door half expecting Khushi to materialize in a burst of color. What was wrong with him? He had stalked away from her yesterday didn't he? Ordered her to keep away from him and his life. So why was he feeling restless? He shut his laptop with a bang as Lavanya entered the room holding a pair of dresses. The sight of her in her emerald-green shalwar was enough to enrage him.

"What are you wearing?" he asked, his voice coming out sharper than intended. Her eyes shrunk with hurt. "Why ASR? You don't like it? Nani, Di and Mami said I looked good."

"Go and change" he continued his voice low and dangerous. The last thing he wanted was Lavanya reminding him of Khushi. Lavanya stood mute, unyielding.

Injecting a note of false cheer in her voice, she held up the two evening dresses. "Which one shall I wear for this evening's party?"

"Did you not hear what I said? Go and change." Arnav's temper was rising. His vision clouded in a haze of rage. How dare she?

Lavanya retreated tears shining in her eyes.

Seeing her walk away defeated, Arnav realized what he had done.

He walked quickly. Catching up with Lavanya he muttered something that suspiciously sounded like sorry and turned her around to look at him. "I don't want you to change for me. You realize that don't you? I don't mean to hurt you. It is just that I sometimes say things without realizing what I mean. I am sorry Khushi."

Lavanya looked at him, everything crystallizing in her mind. She turned and ran to her room. Sitting on the bed, she looked back at their relationship. Did they even have a relationship? She loved him sure. But him? Did he even love her? Images of her proposing to him in front of family, her in her bridal do asking him if he loved her. He had never said the words had he?

What was she doing?

Her shoulders slumped. The elation she had felt two days back at an impending engagement with ASR evaporated. She had to leave. She needed to leave.

Arnav stood in his room, his control over his life slipping. He had done wrong by Lavanya. Had he ever loved her? What was he doing? He needed to fix it. Right away.

Lavanya heard footsteps approaching and quickly dabbed her eyes. ASR stood by her door. His eyes looked troubled. He seemed to be struggling as much as she was. He turned and shut the door behind him and came to stand in front of her. She knew what was coming.

No ASR. Don't say anything. I understand. I am leaving. Just remember I loved you and always will.

Arnav felt little. What had he done?