9.

Author's Note: Thanks for reading! Enjoy :-)<3

_______________________________

9.

"I'm exhausted, do you mind we come in for a bit? I'm just so tired," Luke nuzzled into my shoulder in the back seat of the car.

"Sure," Aiden laughed at him. "Maisie, what's wrong? You haven't talked the entire car journey."

I watched as we got further and further from the beach. It was only four. I had quickly checked the bus route from my house to the beach for later use. I mumbled back at Aiden. I really couldn't be bothered to reply to him.

We got home to get an interrogation from my Dad about where we were. Obviously, Sarah hadn't told him before she went to her job. Clearly an "accident". Yeah right! Luke fell straight asleep on the sofa and Dad went off out again trying to get this job.

"I'll come get Luke later," Beau put his hands on his knees before standing up and slapping Aiden on the back friendly. "See you later, Mai." Beau nodded towards me before seeing himself out.

"You know what, I'm going to go out with Beau for a bit. You'll be okay on your own?" Aiden asked, not waiting for my reply, before running off after Beau.

I took this opportunity to go upstairs and get ready. I put on my blue, skinny jeans, a tshirt I had bought at a concert and a blue jumper. I put my hair into a high pony tail which effortlessly sweft over my shoulder and left my sunglasses on the side. I put my phone and bus card in my pocket before going back downstairs. I was about to walk out the door when a husky voice called out to me,

"Going anywhere nice?"

I span round and faced a tired-looking Luke. His hair was ruffled and he was still only his red shorts.

"No," I rushed, glancing down. I can't believe I forgot he was here; I should've been quieter.

"So you won't mind me coming?" he persisted.

"I'm just going out!" I said, defensively.

He observed me: every inch of me. He let out a heavy sigh.

"What happened at the party? I thought we... had something." he trailed off, distantly.

I caught my bottom lip with my teeth as the guilt sunk in. I wish I could tell him. But I had to push him away. That's the only way he would let me go and that weird guy at the beach wouldn't hurt anyone else. “I’m just going out," I repeated but he still studied me. He began to walk forward but I stopped him with my next words, "what happened at the party meant nothing."

He froze, his eyes flooded with pain but was soon replaced with anger as he spat, "why did you lead me on? Why are all girls the same? Huh? What did I do? Was there someone else? Did I not treat you nicely, Maisie? Maisie, look at me! At least watch as you break my heart." His voice broke on the last word.

It took everything I had to turn away from him and walk away. I wanted to hug him and tell him I didn't mean it. I wanted to tell him I did like him and he did treat me nicely. I wanted to kiss away his pain and replace his angry eyes with happier ones. I wanted to make him happy. But I couldn't.

I walked further than I thought in the dark. I did, eventually, find the bus stop but after some time. I waited ten minutes until the bus whisked me away. It dropped me right by the beach. I took off my shoes and walked along the sinking sand; allowing it to engulf my feet with its soothing grains. It was peaceful.

"Hello, beautiful," that familiar voice sent chills through me. I looked back to see the blonde hair and pale, green eyes. "I was worried you wouldn't come."

"Well I'm here now so what do you want?" I huffed and his eyes gleamed.

Luke's P.O.V

I watched as Maisie walked out. I watched out the window as she walked down to the bus stop. Panic flooding through me, I sprinted home to find Beau.

"BEAU!" I shouted.

"Luke, where've you been?" Mum asked me.

"Mum, not now," I panted. "I have to go."

"Where you going?" Jai asked.

"You can come if you want, Jai." I smiled at him but Mum still looked suspicious. "BEAU!" I shouted again, a few seconds later Beau came charging down the stairs.

"Yeah, Luke?" Beau asked, worried. He really did care about me and Jai a lot.

"I need you to drive me somewhere. Hurry!" I rushed.

"Where?" Mum raised her eyebrows.

"The beach. I think Maisie's in trouble." I said, standing by the door. "Come on! We need to go now!"

"Okay, okay. Bye Mum," Beau kissed her on the cheek, followed by Jai. Beau picked up his keys from the worktop before running out. Before we did, Mum held Beau loosely by his shoulder to whisper something to him. "I know, Mum. I'll keep them safe."

"Why is she at the beach?" Jai asked from the back seat. I called dibs on passenger.

"Yeah," Beau chipped in. "What's she doing there at this time?"

"I don't know. I guess we'll find out," I watched the time and nervously tapped my fingers on the windowsill. Everyone once in a while I would urge him on with a "Hurry, Beau!" or "Beau, come on!" to which he would swear at me and tell me he was going as fast as possible.

I just hope we'd get there in time before anything happens to her.