A Pinch of Revelation

The group from the Living World is told to gather up on Sōkyoku Hill where Ukitake has set up a means for them to return. (Y/N), even from afar, is able to see the many Reapers gathered around to see them off.

"This is the official Senkaimon," Ukitake explains as the group stands before it. "Of course, I incorporated a Reishihenkanki for you. Ichigo."

"Huh?"

The white-haired Captain hands the ginger a wooden item with the carving of a skull on it. "This is for you."

The male takes it and examines the object. "What is this?"

"A Substitute Soul Reaper Combat Pass."

Substitute Soul Reapers actually exist? (Y/N) wonders as she keenly observes the pass in Ichigo's hand. For Ukitake-san to hand Ichigo-san a combat pass, surely there was once someone who became a Substitute as well. But why would there be a pass for such a position? What function does it hold? Or does this mean the Head Captain has acknowledged Ichigo-san as a Soul Reaper?

Sado, who stands beside the girl sees the deep frown etched on her face. He places a hand on her shoulder, gaining the girl's attention. "Are you all right, (S/N)-san?"

"Eh?" She looks up at her classmate. "Was I frowning? I'm sorry. I'm all right actually. Just..." She returns her attention on the combat pass. "...curious..."

"It's tradition to give this to a Substitute Soul Reaper who has been of service to the Soul Society," Ukitake states.

See? This is why you shouldn't overthink things.

"If you use this, you can become a Soul Reaper whenever you want. Of course, it won't make up for everything you've done for us, but..."

"That's all right," Ichigo assures. "I did it because I wanted to. But I'll gladly accept this."

(Y/N) sees a smile break on the Captain's face, and she can't help but wonder what it is he is thinking about.

"Boo."

The sudden touch on her shoulder and the voice almost causes her to deliver a hit to whoever just managed to surprise her. But the person herself halts (Y/N)'s hand from coming down on her by grabbing hold of her wrist.

"Rukia-san." The (h/c)-ette sighs. "You surprised me."

"I know," the noirette says with a grin. "You look great, (Y/N). Did Ishida make this?"

"Mhm. He did."

"Ah! Kuchiki-san!" Orihime approaches the girls with a dress in her hand. Once near enough, she brandishes the dress in front of her for the woman to see. "Here! Ishida-kun made it!"

"Woah, impressive! But..." she trails off. "I'm no longer..."

"No, no, you've got to wear it, Kuchiki-san! (Y/N)-chan wants to see you in this dress, don't you, (Y/N)-chan?"

The (b/t) girl nods. "Mhm. The dress really suits you, Rukia-san. And...I know you might not come back, perhaps for a long time..." A twinge of pain surges through her heart. "But once you do, please wear it. I feel better if you keep it with you, as a memory of our times back in the World of the Living."

A wistful smile spreads across Rukia's lips. "I will. I'll keep it."

"It's time!" Ukitake calls out.

"Oh, we'd better get going now!" Orihime exclaims. "See you, Kuchiki-san!"

And she runs off, leaving (Y/N) and Rukia. The former notices the other Soul Reapers standing behind the latter. She sends a nod as a response to Renji and Byakuya's own ones. Her eyes sweep over the crowd, seeing many familiar faces. She even catches sight of Amano standing at the very back of them. The noirette sent her a grin and a wave of her hand. (Y/N) returns it with a smile and another nod.