23

The Duke did not cooperate

During their morning promenade, not only did the Duke arrive late, he had also dodged Carina's hand as she went to hold his. In front of members of the ton, not even attempting with keeping up a facade. Not to mention, he had arrived reeking of alcohol and with a bad hangover. Carina was furious, and she would have given him a piece of her mind, if only he would have looked at her for longer than two seconds, or maybe acknowledge her presence by his side.

The Duke did not cooperate, and by any chance, at the rate with which things were progressing, it would be a surprise if at least one person does not figure their facade out. Surely, everyone will know like this. And Carina, would never let things come down to that.

◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️◾️

Carina was being fitted for her wedding dress at the modiste as her mama gave away instructions, "Your wedding gown is a long way from being finished, Miss Bridgerton. I promise you will not be disappointed." Miss Genevieve offered, mistaking Carina's worry for the wedding as apprehension about the dress's appearance.

"She will need a new pelisse too, and then the more intimate items. Four nightdresses, perhaps? Or five?" her mama inquired, seemingly more excited than her. Then again, perhaps that was true. The wedding felt more and more like burden as time passed where Simon ignored her existence.
"What could I possibly need with five new nightdresses?" She questioned with a chuckle, after all, her and Simon weren't a real couple. Any new nightdresses she might buy would only be seen by her, and Lily.
"They are not for you, ma chère, but for your amoureux. What else do you think a honeymoon is for?" the modiste offered.
"It will be a most special time, dear." Her mama said. "Yes, five. Five nightdresses will do nicely."

"Carina! How lovely to see you. Oh, I do hope your wedding dress will be ready in time. Madam Delacroix must be working so fast." Cressida exclaimed as she entered the shop and Carina turned around to face her. Even though Cressida's words seemed sincere and there did not seem to be any underlying threat in her expression, Carina could not take any chances. She could not have this go wrong.
"Mama, might you spare me a moment? I must have Cressida's opinion on some fabric. Her taste is impeccable." She said as she dragged Cressida away, to a secluded part of the shop.

"I am to have a new pelisse for my honeymoon. What about this color? Trimmed with fur, perhaps." Carina says,
"Fur, at this time of year? Well, I suppose it depends on how much time you and the duke spend outdoors. But you are fond of a midnight garden stroll, I believe." Cressida replied.
"I do not know what you mean." Carina replied defensively.
"Carina, you do not have to worry. I do not intend to talk to anyone. I haven't even told my mama and well, I tell her everything. Though, you were lucky it was only me on that terrace that night, anyone else might not have been so discreet." Cressida said in a hushed voice.
"But why? You could have used the information to your advantage and you chose to help me?" Carina questioned confused.

Breathe | s.b | bridgerton On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara